Fw: Award-Winning Reporter resigns On-Air from Pacifica

Jay Moore research at SPAMneravt.com
Wed Jan 31 10:43:58 MST 2001

FAIR (Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting)
For Immediate Release, January 31, 2001

MEDIA ADVISORY:
Award-Winning Reporter Resigns On-Air from Pacifica;
Calls for Campaign to Oust Network Leadership

In a dramatic on-air announcement, Juan Gonzalez, the co-host of the
Pacifica Radio Network show "Democracy Now!," resigned this morning from the
network. Citing harassment and muzzling of free speech, Gonzalez said that
"the current management situation at Pacifica has become intolerable...the
last straw being the Christmas Coup at this station, WBAI, last month"--a
reference to the recent unexplained firings and bannings of top staff.

"I've come to the conclusion that the Pacifica board has been hijacked by a
small clique that has more in common with modern-day corporate vultures than
with working-class America," Gonzalez said.

Addressing his co-host at Democracy Now!, Amy Goodman, Gonzalez continued:
"You are a wonderful and committed journalist and you have been subjected to
slanderous personal accusations and constant undermining of your efforts.
And the board of Pacifica has tolerated it and, I think, even encouraged
this."

Gonzalez ended his on-air resignation by announcing a "national corporate
campaign" to oust the Pacifica Foundation's embattled new board leadership,
which he accused of "illegally chang[ing] the Foundation's bylaws." He said
the campaign would call on listeners, instead of donating to Pacifica, to
contribute money to groups challenging the board's legitimacy and working to
democratize the network. (For information about the campaign, phone (212)
879-9322; or email: PacificaCampaign at yahoo.com)

Gonzalez said the current leadership group "does not respect free speech; it
does not respect labor or civil rights; it doesn't even practice due process
for its own managers."

Pacifica's Washington, D.C. station, WPFW, censored most of Gonzalez's
statement, cutting away to taped programming.

Gonzalez, who has co-hosted "Democracy Now!" since 1996, is a staff
columnist with the New York Daily News. He has won numerous awards,
including a George Polk award. His latest book is "Harvest of Empire: A
History of Latinos in America" (Viking 2000). He was a founding member of
the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.

FAIR executive director Jeff Cohen commented: "Juan Gonzalez exemplifies the
best in the Pacifica tradition--a journalist who tells the stories of the
powerless and holds the powerful to account. As the two-year-long Pacifica
crisis worsens and the network's survival is seriously in question, FAIR
joins Gonzalez in calling for the national board leadership to step down.
Whatever these individuals' intentions, unless there is a prompt and
thorough transformation in Pacifica's national leadership, it is impossible
to see Pacifica fulfilling its unique, historical mission."

(Juan Gonalez's letter of resignation can be read below.]

###
*****