When to Support Nationalism

Wed Jan 31 13:16:06 MST 2001

> I came across quite a few pieces on Quebec when looking through British
> journals of the 1930s. What was common to them was that they said that
> fascist trends were very strong in Quebec. What do list members,
> particularly those in Canada, know about this?

I'll answer the 2nd half of this after I return from today's class...but this is
simply anti Quebecois nonsense. The Quebec nationalist movement has historically been
very left wing, particularly since it exploded in size and momentum after WWII (and a
famous visit to Quebec by Charles de Galle where he stated to a huge crowd: "Vive le
Quebec...livre!" ...to an explosion of cheers). The most prominent bourgeois
politicos for the "sovereigntists" (the Canadian federalist term for Quebec
nationalist) nationalised Quebec power in their first term as head of the provincial
government (as you probably know, unlike Britain, there is a provincial layer to
government here between municipal and federal) under the slogan "masters in our own
house!". The Quebec trade unions have traditionally supported the seperatists. The
Bloc Quebecois, the Quebec nationalists on the Federal political stage (who two
parliaments ago were her majesty's official opposition, if you can picture that
question period) were easily the most progressive (not progressive, just the least
reactionary) of the 5 major parties in the election two months ago.

I could draw out more, but I think I just missed my bus.....

Macdonald