"ISMS" and "ATIONS" (WAS: Re: Forwarded from Jurriaan)

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar
Sun Jun 3 10:51:22 MDT 2001

En relación a Re: Forwarded from Jurriaan,
el 3 Jun 01, a las 8:58, Louis Proyect dijo:

Jurriaan:

> >The only way to resolve the discussion is to say that globalisation IS
> >imperialism. But if that is so, why not use the word imperialism ? The fact
> > is that "imperialism" still has a radical political connotation, and
> >"globalisation" has no such connotation at all.

Yes, I think this is an important observation.

If we talked about "globalism" things would be different, since one
could, a la Lenin, write about "globalism, the final stage of
imperialism" and establish some distinguishing features of the world
capitalist system after the late 70s, that is of imperialism once the
post WWII bonanza waned for ever, and after the Berlin Wall fell _on
both sides_ of the Cold War.

But we speak of "globalizATION". While "ISMS" are by definition human
products, an expression of the will of massive amounts of people in
concrete social relationships, "ATIONS" are abstract phaenomena,
natural events imposed on a society that cannot react (short of using
the natural law in its own benefit: TINA is valid for globalization in
the same way it is valid for gravity!)

David Harvey remarked once that the history of that word,
globalization, began with an ad of American Express, "the GLOBAL
card". One should be aware of these origins, don't you think so?

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar