"ISMS" and "ATIONS" (WAS: Re: Forwarded from Jurriaan)

Xxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sun Jun 3 15:52:27 MDT 2001

----------
> From: Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky <gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar>
> To: marxmail <marxism at lists.panix.com>
> Subject: "ISMS" and "ATIONS" (WAS: Re: Forwarded from Jurriaan)
> Date: Sunday, June 03, 2001 12:51 PM
>
> En relación a Re: Forwarded from Jurriaan,
> el 3 Jun 01, a las 8:58, Louis Proyect dijo:
>
> Jurriaan:
>
> > >The only way to resolve the discussion is to say that globalisation IS
> > >imperialism. But if that is so, why not use the word imperialism ? The
fact
> > > is that "imperialism" still has a radical political connotation, and
> > >"globalisation" has no such connotation at all.

Juriaan, I frankly don't think that we should spend so much time in
engaging in arcane discussions of  whether "globalization" or "imperialism"
has different connotations. Such a distinction can be true theoretically,
but it can also obscure power relations if the term, globalization, is not
approached critically . Given the _reality_, what we need to realize is
that globalization (or globalism in Nestor's word) is a phase of
imperialism, and _capitalist globalization_ (in the sense of global
division of labor) is a substitute concept for imperialism.

Another point you have made is that  theories of  globalization have been
used to justify humanistic interventions in the third world.. Indeed, that
was _exactly_ the point I was making in saying that the usage of
globalization obscures the reality of the modern states system, that is,
imperialism. What we need  is a _Marxist_ analysis of globalization that go
beyond _mainstream_ theories of globalization.

adios, Xxxx

---
Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
Ph.D Student