dominant and subordinate forms?

Julio Huato juliohuato at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 15:45:01 MDT 2001

George Snedeker:

>key word  is "trends. I tend to think that both forms of labor are what is
>driving the system onward. they do have different dynamics. they also raise
>different practical problems in organizing. the "advanced workers" may care
>very little about the Others whether they are in Mexico or Long Island.
>"they may see them only as a threat to their standard of living, not as
>sisters and brothers. in short, I agree with the practical importance of
>different forms of labor and life situations, but not with the theoretical
>argument that it is only the advanced sector that drives the system onward.

IMO, the idea of a dual dynamics is problematic.  There's no historical
impasse between these two forms of exploitation.  In Mexico, for instance,
the relative weight that forced labor has nowadays is much smaller than it
had 100, 50, or 20 years ago.  I can attest directly about changes in the
last 20 years in rural and poor urban areas, i.e., areas where forced labor
is more common.  IMO, these are forms of exploitation that temporarily
co-exist, but that are also in a secular conflict.

It is a challenge for Marxists in Mexico and Long Island to harness the
political energy of educated workers without abandoning (in practice)
workers' solidarity.  IMO, the anti-imperialist doctrine (as it stands)
makes it unlikely for Marxists to become leaders of a large and strategic
segment of the working class in the rich capitalist countries.  We need to
rethink the whole strategy.