Teofilo Stevenson Spurned Millions

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Sun Jun 10 18:36:19 MDT 2001

What a wonderful story! My favorite part is about how Teo Stevenson abuses
his fame and prestige to wheedle a US$25 hand-rolled cigar from a retaurant
he's at; and how later he delivers it to an old revolutionary combatant who
does not enjoy fame, fortune or privilege, but does enjoy a good smoke. The
former is the archetypal Cuba "vivo." The latter, a 110% revolutionary. You
might think, the revolutionary institutions should guarantee Cohibas to the
retired general. Teo shouldn't provide them. But on the whole I think it is
better that the revolution not have a perfect communist apparatus. And make
up for it with a human soul.

José