Sinn Fein

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Tue Jun 12 19:43:49 MDT 2001

At 04:09  12/06/01 +1200, you wrote:
>Like Gary, a part of me (a but of my gut and my heart) felt good to see SF
>overtake the old Stoop Down Low Party (SDLP) in the north.  It has been a
>long time coming.  I also think it is the beginning of the end for the
>SDLP.  Once Mallon and Hume retire, those two seats will pass to SF.  I
>also got a short thrill by hearing that SF is ahead of the Labour Party in
>the South.

I agree with this of course.  I am also convinced that the vote for Sinn
Fein is to the left of Sinn Fein. Nor is it all middle class. Actually Sinn
Fein does better in the working class constituencies. But I think it is
true that there is a feeling in the Catholic community (middle & working
class) that they have to be tough especially in the face of a resurgent
Paisleyism in the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP). Phil's absolutely
correct about the middle class Catholics being the big winners.   All that
delirium of the brave in the working class communities has delivered Manna
to the middle class.  It also has sparked a kind of resurgent confidence in
things Irish.  Add to this the Celtic Tiger economic phenomenon and the
catholic community in the North is feeling almost a touch arrogant.

I recall by contrast at an interdenominational school concert in Omagh long
years ago in the 50s when they played God Save the Queen and the protestant
students stood up.  We catholics did not know what to do.  Most of use
stood up but I am proud to say I was one of those who did not.  Afterwards
the Christian Brother in charge attacked us for embarrassing the school by
not paying homage to the bloody queen!

That kind of subaltern mentality has long gone and the loyalists are having
trouble adjusting.  Tough!

regards

Gary

I also agree with Phil that the rise of the DUP is a sign of unionism's
*decay*.