exploitation

George Snedeker snedeker at concentric.net
Sun Jun 17 09:20:51 MDT 2001

Greg says:

First world workers do not exploit workers in third world, nor have they
been bought-off.

there are two key terms here: "exploitation" and "bought off." the first is
a technical and moral concept within Marxism. the second is a political
metaphor. it does not seem to me that first world workers exploit those in
the third world. only capitalist can play the role of exploiters of labor.
the question is rather if core workers benefit from the super exploitation
of peripheral workers. they have historically. this has to do with the uses
of the surplus extracted from the third world workers. think for a moment
about the computer you are using. where was it made and under what
conditions? how much would it have cost if the workers who produced it were
paid a core wage? being bought off is a political questions. most of the
workers in the core countries live relatively well in relation to those in
the periphery. this is a simple fact of life and a moral and political
contradiction. there are divisions within the working class, both globally
and within nations. I might also mention that there are core and peripheries
within each nation. being bought off means that we have become conservative
as the result of our higher standard of living.  we have more than our
chains to loose. this is merely a description of the conditions under which
we live. it does not mean that we do not needto organize all workers. it may
mean that those workers who live well will not immediately see their
solidarity with the wretched of the earth.