exploitation

George Snedeker snedeker at concentric.net
Sun Jun 17 13:13:46 MDT 2001

I would like to thank Greg for his thoughtful response to my post.

it seems to me that the theoretical problem is how to understand the
benefits that flow to the core workers from the super exploitation of the
periphery. we get better housing, more food, better appliances and other
material rewards. all of this must be analyzed and explained. it can not
just be that we work harder. productivity in the economic sense is not a
question of who works harder.  this in no sense means that core workers are
not exploited by capital. and our benefits from this system are small when
compared to those of the capitalists. in earlier times, there was less
competition between core and periphery workers because of the global
division of labor. factory workers do not compete with mine or agricultural
workers. they do compete with factory workers in other parts of the world.
so now days core workers feel that other people have gotten their jobs.

formulating a political strategy must be related to the fundamental economic
realities. however, this strategy does not simply flow from the material
conditions. it needs to be developed. I mention this because Greg has
emphasized the role of organizing. I am no great strategist, but it seems to
me that there is not a choice between domestic or international struggles.
they are both connected. we have no choice but to deal with both arenas of
struggle.

core workers have been integrated into the world system of commodity
production and consumption differently than periphery workers. this brings
us to the question of being bought off. this is a rather ugly problem. after
all, what do I care about the working conditions of the people who produce
my coffee, sugar and computers. I may be brought around to see that I should
care. capitalism is a dirty business. no one's hands are clean.