Weberian marxism

Xxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxx.xxx
Sat Jun 23 15:38:11 MDT 2001

Yes, I agree with Jim. Young Weber was kind of sympathetic to Marx. As he
got older, he dispensed with Marx significantly. For the early Weber, you
should  read  _The Agrarian Sociology of Ancient Civilizations_ (Verso,
1998). There, Weber discusses the causes of the rise and decline of ancient
civilizations from a comparative perspective (Rome, Egypt, Mesopotamia,
Israel, Greece).

This may be his Ph.D. even.

Regarding Weberian Marxism, I don't know if it is a useful label. If
analogy is necessary, however, Brenner can be said to be a Weberian Marxist
because of his tendency to develop an ideal type British capitalism. Some
people argue that famous Polish Marxist Withold Kula is a Weberian Marxist
too. In his book _Economic Theory of Feudalism_, Kula, like Brenner,
develops an ideal type, closed, static Polish economy as an evidence for
feudalism in Eastern Europe.

bye, Xxxx
---
Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx