Weberian marxism

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Jun 24 08:40:01 MDT 2001

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 09:51:37 +1000 Gary MacLennan
<g.maclennan at qut.edu.au> writes:
> Isn't a key difference between Weber and Marx the question of class
> analysis?  Weber brought into his model the patterns of consumption,
> by
> which 'status groups' were defined. In so doing he prepared the way
> did he
> not for contemporary sociology right down to Bourdieu which his
> notions of
> cultural and symbolic capital?  Whether Bourdieu can be regarded as
> synthesis of Marx and Weber I am not at all sure, but it would be
> interesting to investigate this.

Certainly many of the French theorists owe a great deal to
Weber.   Foucault's work would have been inconceivable without
him.  I am not sure about Bourdieu, but I think that one way
of reading Foucault is one in which he attempted to synthesize
the insights of Marx, Nietzsche and Weber into an analysis of
power in society.

Jim F.