The new Red Army

Juan R. Fajardo fajardos at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 24 21:54:49 MDT 2001

> From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>
> > If as seems likely in the wake of the massacre of the royal family,
> > the Maoists continue to make large gains on the gorund, then
> > what is India's response likely to be?  Nepal is for most
> > intents and purposes a protectorate of India.  ...
>
> I do not know what India will do. I do not know if India needs to do
> anything overtly. Maoism is an anchronism. It has no future in South Asia.
>
> Ulhas

It may be an anachronism, but then again, Nepal itself has been
described as anachronistic.

In any case, for the Indian ruling classes to grow alarmed it would not
be necessary for them to believe that Maoism has a future in Nepal but
only that they believe that Maoists have the ability to destabilize
Nepal.  Whether or not they do or do not have that ability or potential
is not yet clear, but their growth in strength and influence is evident.

- Juan