The new Red Army

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Mon Jun 25 05:31:13 MDT 2001

From: Juan R. Fajardo
> It may be an anachronism, but then again, Nepal itself has been
> described as anachronistic.
>
> In any case, for the Indian ruling classes to grow alarmed it would not
> be necessary for them to believe that Maoism has a future in Nepal but
> only that they believe that Maoists have the ability to destabilize
> Nepal.  Whether or not they do or do not have that ability or potential
> is not yet clear, but their growth in strength and influence is evident.

Is there any reason for the Indian ruling class to panic? Maoist strength
may be self evident, but it does not look as though the fall of Kathmandu is
imminent. Maoist have yet to face Nepali army. If Nepali state apparatus is
unwilling to use Nepali army, it is unlikely to invite Indian military
intervention. I do not see India intervening, unless Indian help is formally
asked by Nepali authorities. India has its own share of insurgencies in
Kashmir and the North East India and it would difficult for India to get
involved in one more anti-insurgency operation, especially if the
involvement is not short term in nature.

Ulhas