dominant and subordinate forms?

Julio Huato juliohuato at SPAMhotmail.com
Sun Jun 3 06:21:13 MDT 2001

George Snedeker" <snedeker at concentric.net>:

>I am not sure what the point is of establishing which form of exploitation
>is dominant and which is subordinate. capital accumulation is a social
>product. you don't get "advanced" accumulation without "primitive"
>accumulation. what we have is a global division of labor.  forced and free
>labor go hand and hand.

Establishing which form of exploitation prevails matters a lot.  It matters
from a practical point of view.  Even if they both live in the same country,
a child laborer blowing air 10 hours a day into a primitive brick-making
furnace and a software engineer writing code for Computer Associates at her
desktop computer have completely different lives, jobs, and outlooks.  Isn't
that practically important in the struggle for emancipation?

>From a theoretical point of view, it is crucial that we understand the main
trends driving the 'global' division of labor.  Do forced labor and free
labor have the same prospects in a given social formation?  The 'global'
division of labor crystalizes but it also evolves.  And Marxists are
supposed to be interested in knowing where it's heading to.  Political
practice is supposed to be guided by theory.