Forwarded from Nestor (protectionism)

Wed Jun 6 17:05:06 MDT 2001

>This does not mean that we should place any hope in those villains, whose
>luck depends on the misery of their fellow countrypeople. But if _they_ are
>mastered that way, what can other "ruling" classes expect???
>
>Lic. Néstor M. Gorojovsky

It is interesting how here in Australia the Agricultural sector which is of
probably the most right wing sector and the most vocal proponent of Pax
Americana, does suffer from US restrictions of Australian agricultural
products and above all from US dumping of wheat in Australian
markets.  From time to time the issue of using the rent free USA spy bases
here as a bargaining tool gets raised only to be shot down absolutely by
all of the mainstream political parties.`When this is mentioned there is a
real feeling of a taboo being broken.

It raises in an interesting way the class interests of the bourgeoisie and
how they can be factionalised but tend to cohere around a number of key
issues.  These are seemingly defence related, but really have more to do, I
think, with the particular nation's position within the imperialist order.

Thus Argentina continued in the USA camp despite the USA aid for Britain in
the war over the Malvinas, and Argentina also continued to pay back debt to
Britain just after the war.

regards

Gary