DT and vanguards (was Re: Gunder Frank nude (was Re: The MIR (wasRe: Dependency theory debate in Latin America)))

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at SPAMarnet.com.ar
Sat Jun 9 09:43:45 MDT 2001

En relación a Re: DT and vanguards (was Re: Gunder Frank nude (, el 9
Jun 01, a las 8:41, Louis Proyect dijo:

> If AGF had never been born, Argentina (and Brazil, Spain, Turkey,
> etc.) would have been plagued by the same sort of phenomena. The
> answer is not to demonize a revolutionary scholar, but to come to
> terms with *our* mistakes and move forward.

I agree in part. I have nothing personal against Gunder Frank. But his
ideas were the ones that moulded their view of things. I am not
"demonizing a revolutionary scholar", as you say, I am exposing how
"our" mistakes (because in a sense I have never denied that, at least
in intention and more than that, AGF was one of us) brought us to the
terrible stalemate of the mid/late 70s.

I find that you have a personal attachment to AGF on the ground that
he exposed things on Latin America most mainstream leftists preferred
to ignore, Lou, so that I will rest the case for the time being. But I
still insist in that the political tendencies that were associated
with his ideas during the 70s were disastrous and helped bring the
catastrophe on us.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar