Colonial Marxism

Nestor Miguel Gorojovsky gorojovsky at SPAMarnet.com.ar
Sat Jun 9 17:21:42 MDT 2001

En relación a Re: Gunder Frank nude (was Re: The MIR (was Re: D,
el 9 Jun 01, a las 17:38, Xxxx Xxxxxx dijo:

> > > The 'Centre' dumps in the 'Periphery' the mass of useless cultural
> products,
> > > sometimes these products are called 'Marxist Theory'.
> > >
> > > Ulhas

[True, sez I, then Xxxx goes and says]

> To say that core counties do not exploit peripheral countries, and
> accusing Marxists to construct a category of helpless "otherness" is
> a reverse orientalist demagogue characteristic of Spivak type
> cultural post-Marxism.  Unfortunately, this garbage is, sometimes,
> called a Marxist theory.

I don't care what the differences between Ulhas and me (or, for that
matter, Ulhas and Xxxx) can be. They are deep and in most cases I will
be on Xxxx's side against him. But the basic idea that Marxism is many
times imported, and not recreated, in the Third World, is something
worth understanding and respecting.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar