KPFK & Barsamian

Marta Russell ap888 at SPAMlafn.org
Thu Jun 14 09:21:58 MDT 2001

Date sent:              Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:42:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:                   Pacifica Campaign-LA <farah628 at yahoo.com>
Subject:                ACTION ALERT: RETURN 'ALTERNATIVE RADIO ' TO
AIR

David Barsamian's wonderful award-winning program,
"Alternative Radio (AR)"—a program offered for free to
KPFK—has been taken off the air.  AR, where we have
heard some of the greatest, most dynamic, radical and
progressive voices, the voices of the Real Pacifica,
will no longer be heard from 3-4:00 p.m. on KPFK.

AR has been replaced with a program called "New
Dimensions," a New Age program for which KPFK pays.
When David Barsamian told KPFK General Manager
MarkSchubb that he didn't want AR programs used as
premiums during the recent spring fund drive, May 16
to May 25, Schubb was less than pleased, and AR was
not broadcast during the fund drive, or ever since.
What are we going to do about the loss of yet another
one of the best programs on KPFK, which has been
purged from the programming schedule?

TAKE ACTION:

1. Call the station: (800)985-5735, or (818) 985-2711,
ext. 203 for Mark Schubb; or from 3-4:00 p.m. (818)
985-5735 and speak to whoever answers the phone (often
the engineer); send faxes to Schubb at (818) 763-7526;
send e-mails to him at mschubb at kpfk.org; or write to
him snail mail at KPFK, 3729 Cahuenga Blvd. West,
North Hollywood, CA 91604, and tell him YOU WANT
'ALTERNATIVE RADIO' BACK!  Say NO to the cancellation
of Alternative Radio. Keep calling until you feel
you've been heard. Please be polite.

2. Write to your local newspapers. Let your community
know about the ongoing firing of favorite programmers
at the "listener-supported," "free speech" Pacifica
radio station and the censorship prevalent at KPFK.

3. Go to your local community groups and let them know
about the kind of censorship and lack of accountability
at our "community" radio station. Urge them to write to
their members. Let them know about the one-man run station
by General Manager/Programming Director/Development
person—Mark Schubb, who decides for us what we can or
cannot hear on the air, all the while asking us, the listeners,
to send in more money to support "our station."

YOUR VOICE IS IMPORTANT. DON'T STOP UNTIL 'ALTERNATIVE
RADIO ' IS BACK ON THE AIR!

Contact us at pacificacampaignla at yahoo.com or
323-878-5680