Cuba answers US cyberterrorism lies

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Sun Jun 17 20:09:57 MDT 2001

As people know, for several years the U.S. government has been raising the
threat of "cyber terrorism" to justify U.S. government research and
preparations to carry out aggressions over computer networks.

Over the last couple of years, these preparations have become so intense
that the U.S. Government has begun sending reps from the FBI, CIA and other
spook agencies to what were once quasi-underground hacker gatherings like
the annual Def Con mid-summer blow-out in Las Vegas, offering free college
educations to hackers who agree to go to work for the NSA, etc.

In February, U.S. government mouthpieces went further, accusing Cuba of
preparing to wage cybernetic war against the United States. The accusation
is, of course, silly, and, at any rate, any nation that hooks up computers
to the internet the way most computers are being hooked up to cable modems
in the U.S. is its own worse internet security enemy.

It is child's play --literally, something teens and preteens do for
amusement-- to turn a couple of hundred wintel boxes with cable modems into
zombies that can be mustered for a DDOS attack --like the one that shut down
cnn.com, yahoo.com and many other sites last year-- with a single command
sent over an IRC channel.

Steve Gibson --the hacker (in the original, not sensationalist news media,
sense of the word) who wrote the legendary "spinrite" tweak program-- has
extensively documented this on his security web site (www.grc.com).

The charge of cyberterrorism against Cuba doesn't come out of thin air,
however. It is the U.S. government's response to Cuba's campaign to spread
the use of the internet and computers and transform the entire island into a
university through the broadcast of various courses on television.

Cuban President Fidel Castro took up these charges last week, and this round
table discussion is a follow up to his talk.

These were the concluding comments on tonight's Cuban TV "round  table" talk
show on U.S. charges that Cuba is preparing "Cyber Terrorism" against the
U.S. This is my translation from an audio tape of the concluding comments.

I did not catch the entire program and it is unclear to me whether this was
a live event or a rebroadcast of a round table discussion from the day
following Fidel's speech on this matter, as part of what I quote below seems
to suggest.

I did not catch the names of the commentators on the tape, however, the last
part appeared to be a written statement delivered by the person that usually
hosts these shows.

***

Let me start where she ended, on the literacy campaign.

I remember the literacy campaign. And when one sees these programs, that
passionate desire to bring culture to everyone, when one sees the television
sets, the VCR's, the solar panels in the schools no matter how remote they
may be, one remembers the 1961 literacy crusade.

It was an act of justice. An act of justice. So that no one would remain an
outcast, no one would remain unable to read and write and participate and
make decisions.

Just like now, where no one should remain isolated from these new
technologies. No one should feel themselves to be at a disadvantage. Whether
they live in the hills or on the plains, in the city or the countryside.
They must be able to participate, to contribute, in this expanding cultural
universe which has been unleashed in Cuba, in this country, after the battle
for Elián, after the Congresses of the UNEAC (National Union of Writers and
Artists of Cuba) and of the UPC (Union of Journalists of Cuba). And after
all these programs that are being carried out.

Computerization will make us more complete. It will make the economy more
efficient. The computerization of society will make Cubans wealthier, both
materially and spiritually. There will be more time to enjoy sports,
reading, there will be more time for the family, there will be more time to
take part in a society like ours.

* * *

[host]

And just as they  tried in 1961 to murder the teachers who carried literacy
to our people, so now are they trying to kill the new programs that our
Revolution has created for our children and for our youth. But that, really,
will be impossible.

Our revolution will continue advancing, and these programs for our youth
will continue advancing just as strongly as they have been initiated, just
as strongly as we are waging our battle of ideas.

I want to thank the journalists who have been with us this afternoon, and
the guests who have been with us here in our studios, and I especialy want
to thank our commander in chief for being with us in one more day of
struggle of the Cuban people.

Dear Radio and TV audience:

    In an orchestrated intelligence and propaganda campaign, high officials
of the U.S. special services, new media of that country and mouthpieces of
the Miami mafia have begun to raise the spectre of the threat of Cuban Cyber
Terrorism against the United States.

    This is a new pretext to justify the criminal aggression against our
people.

    With unheard-of  shamelesness, the U.S. government, which has been
unable to solve the problem of cyber-aggressions, has tried to convert this
problem into the perfect pretext for whipping up U.S. public opinion against
Cuba, which they have not been able to blockade nor subjugate --not  even
with the threat of a nuclear attack , with direct aggressions, with
biological and economic warfare.

    They, who spy on the world from their computers and satellites, they who
spy on political leaders,  empty our electronic mailboxes, and manipulate
war scenarios, are trying to present our incipient development in the field
of computerization as a threat to the superpower.

    The empire of lies is an orphan in the field of ideas.

    Our scientists do not invest their efforts or research time in creating
viruses or preparing cyber attacks.
They dedicate themselves, as Fidel said, to the development of the country,
to the search for medicines against AIDS, cancer and other terrible
illnesses. They seek, above all, for the well-being of humanity.

    Cuba does not constitute in the slightest degree a cybernetic threat to
the United States. But it is a moral threat. What they fear is that our
people will become ever more educated, and therefore, ever more free. They
fear that we will become masters in the sciences of the future and therefore
will become more independent. They fear that technology, instead of being a
tool of domination, will become a tool for socialization.

    Their new plans against Cuba will crash against the truth of our people.
As our commander in Chief said yesterday, none of this can intimidate us, it
all shows how desperate the empire is, how shameless it is, how impotent it
is. Because for 42 years they have been unable to destroy the Cuban
revolution, and because they cringe before the reality of Cuba's example and
of the level of education and culture we have already achieved.

Good evening.