FW: When Poor and Native = "Feeble Minded" : Hiding in Plain Sight

Craven, Jim jcraven at SPAMclark.edu
Tue Jun 19 16:17:47 MDT 2001

http://www.toledoblade.com/editorial/lessenberry/0a09less.htm
> [...]
> traveling.
> When Indian families throughout this region now work to
> document their
> blood lines, we have oral histories and the testimony of
> family and
> neighbors, many of whom are now dead, but few written
> records.  Many of
> our relatives were very careful to register as "white" or
> "French
> Canadian"  or even "colored" at every opportunity, or not
>  to register
> births, deaths, and marriages at all. Many moved every
> time the census
> taker came along. If we were lucky, our ancestors moved
> to one of the
> safe zones, like the St. Francis mission village of
> Odanak - but then
> they lost not only residence in our homeland, but the
> right to be
> identified as "Americans."
>       Our long histories in this region, as indigenous
> inhabitants,
> basket makers, guides, soldiers,  itinerant laborers,
> neighbors to white
> settlers,  and explicitly as Indians, are extensively
> documented in
> local histories, in French and Indian war correspondence,
> in mission and
> church records, in Revolutionary War and Civil War
> records, throughout
> 19th century newspapers and court documents. . . but
> there is a curious
> gap in information during the eugenics years. A few
> families who
> remained in Indian enclaves, fully identified to their
> neighbors, took
> the brunt of prejudice during the 1920's - 1970's, before
> national
> movements raised awareness in general. Some were
> documented by
> historians who marveled at the persistent presence of
> indigenous peoples
> in the region, long after the "Indian Wars" were over.
> But many, many
> others quietly carried on their lives, "hiding in plain
> sight."
>       Kathleen Gallagher just came out with a book on the
> Vermont Eugenics
> project, titled "Breeding Better Vermonters." But even
> her documentation
> of this project is missing family names - Perkins chose
> to identify the
> sterilized generically as "gypsies" and "pirates," to
> spare them the
> shame of being identified as "Indians." Please see the
> following article
> from the Boston Globe for more information on this story,
> which is still
> unfolding even as we speak.
>
> Thanks for listening.
> Wlibomkanni - travel well,
> Marge Bruchac

> Note: I've included a transcript of the text, since the
> Boston Globe has
> removed the article from its web site as "out of date."

http://www.boston.com:80/dailyglobe2/227/metro/Eugenics_victims_are_heard_at
_last+.shtml

> [...]
> degenerate offspring for crime, or letting
>  > them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent
> those who are manifestly unfit from
>  > continuing their kind.'' Since then, there has been
> only one attempt in this country to
>  > secure compensation for forced sterilization.
>  >    In 1980, the American Civil Liberties Union filed
> suit in Lynchburg, V a., on behalf of
>  > 7,200 state mental patients who were sterilized
> without their knowledge until the practice
>  > was ended in 1973. The suit sought damages and
> notification of people who had been
>  > sterilized, as well as a ruling that the
> sterilizations were unconstitutional. The ACLU
>  > and the state settled the case.
>  >    But the settlements in Canada and Sweden suggest that
> the public mood may have
>  > changed. Moody, who has worked extensively with the
> Abenaki, has pressed the state to
>  > open up records from the eugenics survey and from two
> ''training schools'' that
>  > frequently sterilized young inmates. He would like to
> see the state begin to contact
>  > families and inform them what occurred. Referring to
> Vermont Governor Howard Dean,
>  > he said, ''I'd love to see the Dean administration
> take a proactive stance.'' Failing that,
>  > Moody said, he could imagine filing a class-action
> lawsuit. Informing those who have
>  > been sterilized is an initiative that has never been
> undertaken on a national scale, said
>  > Reilly, and probably never will be.
>  >    ''Now many of them are very old people, and there is
> the ethical issue of letting
>  > sleeping dogs lie,'' Reilly said. And among the more
> angry of the Abenaki, sterilization
>  > simply seems like another aspect of a multi-faceted
> campaign to destroy them.
>  >    Homer St. Francis, a longtime chief of the Abenaki,
> reels off the names of childless
>  > family members who he assumes were sterilized. He sees
> sterilization as part of a larger
>  > government conspiracy to eliminate his family - a
> campaign that he said includes
>  > generations of abduction and outright murder. When
> historians in Vermont first
>  > discovered crates of Henry Perkins's eugenic surveys,
> St. Francis said he found names
>  > of people he knew on the list of research subjects,
> people who had been singled out as
>  > ''degenerate'' by Perkins's researchers.
>  > It confirmed everything he had already believed about
> the state and the Abenaki.
>  >    ''It made me sick,'' he said. ''How would you feel if
> people were trying to kill you?''
>  > And while there was some talk about seeking a legal
> remedy, it faded among the tribe's
>  > long list of grievances. ''We don't have any money for
> attorneys, so we just grit our teeth
>  > and bear it,'' he said.
>  >
>  > This story ran on page B01 of the Boston Globe on
> 08/15/99.
>  > © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

Comment: All Tribes of the Pikanii Nation will be conducting Tribunals
related to atrocities committed against Pikanii People including
forced/coerced/deceptive sterilizations of Pikanii boys and girls and
murders, rapes, sexual/physical abuses, forced deleterious diets, denial of
medical care, incompetent education, profiling of Indian children as
"feebleminded" and cover-ups in Indian Residential/Boarding Schools etc. The
Tribunals will be conducted according to principles of Aboriginal Law and
have more standing and legal authority under international law than the
allies ever had at Nuremberg.

>From "Hitler and His Secret Partners: Contributions, Loot and Rewards,
1933-1945" by James Pool, Pocket Books, N.Y. 1997:

"Always contemptuous of the Russians, Hitler said: ' For them the word
'liberty' means the right to wash only on feast-days. If we arrive bringing
soft soap, we'll obtain no sympathy...There's only one duty: To Germanize
this country by the immigration of Germans, and to look upon the natives as
Redskins.' [Hitler, "Secret Conversations p. 57] Having been a devoted
reader of Karl May's books on the American West as a youth, Hitler
frequently referred to the Russians as 'Redskins'. He saw a parallel between
his effort to conquer and colonize land in Russia with the conquest of the
American West by the white man and the subjugation of the Indians or
'Redskins.' 'I don't see why', he said, 'a German who easts a piece of bread
should torment himself with the idea that the soil that produces this bread
has been won by the sword. When we eat wheat from Canada, we don't think
about the despoiled Indians.' [Ibid. p. 57] " (Pool, pp 254-55)