Res-school Genocide = $ for lawyers

Tue Jun 19 18:30:47 MDT 2001

[ from Jim Craven ]

OTTAWA, CHURCHES FLOODED WITH NEW NATIVE LAWSUITS
The Globe & Mail, March 2, 1999 by Alanna Mitchell

[S.I.S.I.S. note: The following mainstream news article may contain
biased or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts
and/or context.  It is provided for reference only.]

Calgary -- More than 1,000 native Canadians who were forced to attend
residential schools as children have launched multimillion-dollar
lawsuits against the federal government and churches over the past
several days, spurred on by fears that a new Alberta law will cut off
their chances to make claims.

The new Limitations Act came into effect yesterday. It gives a person
10 years to file a civil claim once it is realized that damage has
been done.  Other provinces allow a limit of 30 years for civil
cases. Some lawyers believe Alberta's new law leaves a two-year window
for people to file lawsuits about residential schools, but most who
handle such claims have flooded the courts with them over the past
several days to make sure they won't be disqualified later.

The firm Ruston Marshall Barristers in Lethbridge, for example, filed
civil suits on behalf of 362 members of the Blood tribe last
Friday. They claim a minimum of $500,000 apiece as compensation for
mental distress, loss of education and earning opportunities, and loss
of culture. "These are serious claims born of a system designed to
marginalize the first nations people of Canada," said Vaughn Marshall,
a Lethbridge lawyer who has spent more than a year putting the
lawsuits together.

In the past few days, the number of civil suits against the government
and against churches that ran residential schools has risen from about
2,200 to at least 3,500, the Assembly of First Nations said.

Only a tiny fraction of the allegations have been the subject of
criminal charges. Most are being dealt with solely through the civil
system. Some of the new suits catalogue a litany of sexual and
physical abuse and claim the schools robbed the children of their
rights to education. They accuse the government of stealing the
children's cultural heritage and forcing them to live in squalor.

The plaintiffs range in age from their late 20s to their 90s. At the
schools' peak, in 1946, there were 76 in Canada. Most were closed in
the 1970s. The government estimates that about 200,000 pupils went
through the residential school system.

The Merchant Law Group, which handles a huge volume of
residential-school civil suits, has filed 700 claims in recent
weeks. Its lawyers, unlike those of several other firms, believe any
suit not filed by yesterday will lose out under the new act. Tom
Stepper said his firm believes the act may be unconstitutional because
it limits the rights of aboriginal Canadians to file civil claims.

The suits have raised concern among native leaders who fear that, in
the rush to sign up complainants, some lawyers may not be dealing
adequately with the emotional trauma that often accompanies such
claims. In some cases, the lawyers were simply telling their clients
to fill out questionnaires detailing the abuse and then sending them
home, a spokeswoman for the Assembly of First Nations said. Others
rented halls and advertised their intent to sue the government on
behalf of residential-school survivors.

The situation became so knotty that Phil Fontaine, the Assembly's
national chief, sent letters to law societies across the country
objecting to the heavy-handed nature of some of the marketing. He
himself attended a residential school. He noted that some survivors of
the residential-school system who had filed suits had subsequently
committed suicide, and he pleaded for lawyers to be sensitive.

LAWYERS REBUKED

>From a letter Phil Fontaine sent to law societies across Canada in
October, 1998

"First Nations members have drawn attention to three elements which
concern me. The first is the aggressive solicitation of clients in
some jurisdictions.

"We have heard complaints from survivors that lawyers have rented
halls and advertised their services to sue the government or the
churches on a contingency basis. Some lawyers have approached band
members who attended the residential schools.

"We have been informed that this tests the boundaries of taste and
ethics, even though it may not be illegal. We suggest that while it
may be within the letter of the law, this behaviour may be exploiting
a situation that requires the utmost sensitivity.

"The choice of some counsel to hold town hall meetings or to send out
questionnaires which may require potential plaintiffs to write about
painful experiences may place some people at risk.

"There have been residential school plaintiffs who have committed
suicide and there are complainants who were questioned by police in
regard to criminal investigations into residential schools who have
committed suicide.

"The care required to ensure that our people are not re-victimized by
processes without counselling support cannot be stressed enough."

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
CANADA - A COUNTRY BUILT UPON USURPATION AND INDIGENOUS GENOCIDE!

"Our object is to continue until there is not a single Indian that has not
been absorbed into the body politic of Canada and there is no more Indian
Question. That is the whole purpose of our legislation."
 --  Duncan Campbell Scott, Indian Affairs, 1920

More information on Residential Schools atrocities:
   http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/resschool/main.html

Letters to the Globe and Mail - mailto:letters at GlobeAndMail.ca

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <sisis at envirolink.org
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <majordomo at speakeasy.org
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.
:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

The Pikanii Sun

P.O. Box 430, Browning, Montana USA 594l7
telephone: 406-338-2882
Email: blkfoot4 at 3rivers.net

The Pikanii Sun is a publication for the people of the Blackfoot
Confederacy, their relatives and friends throughout the world. It is
dedicated to the truth of good new and bad news, while giving
particular attention to understanding and repecting the human family.

But the focus of the Pikanii Sun is the Indian people and their
culture. . . . the traditional laws; art and artisans; book, video and
movie reviews; music; the use of plants for food, shelter, medicine
and ceremony. Profiles of significant people. Places to visit in
Indian country. And of course, The Pikanii Sun will be publishingthose
stories that reflect the beauty and dignity of the human spirit and
the sacred.

The Pikanii Sun is an educational and entertaining publication.

Cost: 50 Cents a copy. Ad a dollar if you want it mailed to someone
you wish to honor.

all manner of public places throughout the 4 directions.

Submissions: are accepted anytime. Send your stories, pictures, art
and photos to us via the mail, FAX, telephone, or e-mail to the
address above.

Advertising: Display ads sell for $10 a column inch (1" x
2"). Classified ads are $7 for 20 words. Each additional word is 10
cents per word.

Thank you for your patronage. 100% Indian owned.

        Long Standing Bear Chief
                Editor/publisher/janitor

        blkfoot4 at 3rivers.net