Thoughts on academe

Tue Jun 19 18:45:16 MDT 2001

I have so much  bloody work to do that I cannot stop myself from engaging
in activity which is designed to postpone and thus make the problem
worse.  But I have been thinking about academia lately and especially the
truth that there does not seem to be any limits to the new ways in which
academics will discover to commit the "trahaison des clercs".

Thus there appears to be a new variation on the theme in circulation at
present.  I call it the 'aesthetic turn' and it manifests itself in a
deliberately non-serious style of writing which is designed to break taboos
at any price.  Of course the favorite taboos are left wing ones - what a
coincidence.

It is as if academics had decided to do imitations of the scripts from
South Park. Thus the following exchange took place on the Film Philosophy
list in response to a post by an Alexander Bard on Zizek's Lenin conference.