Bought off workers?

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at SPAMvsnl.com
Thu Jun 21 10:03:48 MDT 2001

From: jenyan1

> Thus, the following two statements are equivalent:
>
>   (i) Textiles have lost their privileged positions in global trade and
> those who depend on the production of these items are condemned to penury
> and 'backwardness'. (I'm using the conventional term, though Nestor
> correctly pointed out that 'arrested development' would be more accurate).

Take a look at China's share of global textile exports. Is China condemned
to penury and backwardness? Or Perhaps China is an exception to this rule,
since it is supposed to be proletarian dictatorship?

> > much about the global power relations. Namely, the problem is not
> geographical or one of proximity, but the fact that the hegemonic power in
> the global system retains for itself the monopoly over the production of
> the high tech products, including such military industries, which secure
> its position in the global pecking order.

If this is true, it only means that Third World revolution have limited
value. Revolutions in Nepal and Bhutan are not likely to challenge
imperialist monopoly over high tech products.
One also must take into account the fact that the developing countries, at
least some of them, are on a 'technological ladder'. The economy is
constantly moving up the 'technological ladder'. Looking at things in a
static manner does not help.

> Why do you keep pointing out the obvious fact that there are few directly
> administered colonies? Nobody is claiming this, least of all me. What is
> true is that states like Indonesia and Saudi Arabia, though they retain
> titular independence, are substantially colonised.

What about China and Vietnam? Are they independent nations?

> Greg, Imperialism is an undeniable fact of life in the Third World today.
> In denying it you are either purposely dissembling or inadvertently
> showing your ignorance of the contemporary realities of the Third World.
> Since I can only imagine that you are writing in good faith, I'll assume
> the latter.

The main question is what is this so-called Third World? How do you
recognise a 'Third World' nation? Do you propose some criteria to enable you
to identify what is this thing called 'Third World'. Samir Amin has now
invented one more world called the 'Fourth World'. For him Africa
constitutes the so-called 'Fourth World'. (See Amin's book Capitalism in the
Age of Globalisation) Asia and Latin America are the 'Third World'. We will
soon have Fifth, Sixth and nth Worlds at this rate.

Ulhas