Forwarded from Nestor (reply to Richard Fidler)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu Jun 28 10:32:26 MDT 2001

Nestor:
>Other terms, which were perfectioned by the unspeakable Borges in his
>acidly perverted phrase of "people of humble color", pointed at the animals
>and birds of the country. Thus, the Creole mass of the Argentinean people
>was known as the "black little heads", the name of a small bird, the
>"cabecita negra", in our countryside. Our people accepted this abuse as a
>fact of life, and this was so for decades. But Peronism put things in a
>different dimension.

I should mention that the biography of Che points out that his "motorcycle
diaries" contain racially derogatory remarks about Venezualan blacks that
supposedly betrayed the racism of the Argentine middle-class. Obviously
this is something he discarded as he became a conscious Marxist.

Louis Proyect