Simple question

Austin, Andrew austina at SPAMuwgb.edu
Fri Mar 2 16:47:20 MST 2001

Marx was a communist. Marxism is a method we use to theorize history and,
more specifically, the capitalist mode of production. It is possible to
separate Marxism from communism. We could make communism without Marx. Marx
provides no blueprint for building such a historical system. He does, of
course, share in our ethnical commitment to a social ordering based on
substantive equality. But what is useful in Marx is he revealed the
developmental dynamic of capitalism, and the method he used remains
valid--indeed, Marxism is the superior scientific historical approach.

Andrew Austin
Green Bay, WI