farewell to academe

Michael Yates mikey+ at SPAMpitt.edu
Mon Mar 5 17:59:50 MST 2001

Nestor,

Yes, academic quality for all.  By the way, I am only able to retire
because of the nature of my retirement money.  For 32 years I saved 8%
of my pay and the University matched this with 12%.  A lot of this was
used by the pension fund to purchase stocks and the great US bull market
benefitted me greatly.  At age 55 I can access this account if I leave
the University.  So I am going to leave.  But the University is not
giving me any sort of early retirement.  Far from it.  After August I
will have to buy health insurance for my wife and I or go without it.

Thanks for you kind comments.

In solidarity (y venceremos!!),

Michael