Why NATO simultaneously arms trains and denounces the KLA

Mon Mar 5 20:11:28 MST 2001

> In a message dated 03/05/2001 11:10:19 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> lnp3 at panix.com writes:
>
> << The KLA was never just a puppet,
>  in the same fashion that the Afghan, Angolan or Nicaraguan contras were
>  never totally controlled by the CIA. I >>
>
> Dear Lou,
>
> If the contras weren't total puppets this sets the requirements of
> total-puppet-hood pretty high

That was my exact feeling regarding this line as well. Why on earth are Unita and the
Mujahideen on the same page as the Contras for you? I think of the Contras as pure
puppets, unlike these three (including the KLA).

The point that needs to remembered, #1, is that none of these institutions could have
survived without America's support. No one thinks of Pol Pot as a "total puppet", but
he would have been gone 15 years sooner without the CIA- probably as early as 1980.

Macdonald