Why NATO simultaneously arms trains and denounces the KLA

Gorojovsky Gorojovsky at SPAMarnet.com.ar
Mon Mar 5 21:51:41 MST 2001

En relación a Re: Why NATO simultaneously arms trains and denou,
el 5 Mar 01, a las 17:01, Louis Proyect dijo:

> Against Yeltsin and Kostunica, we support Gorbachev and Milosevic.

I am not sure that I would support Gorbachev against Yeltsin. In the end, and
as seen from my faraway vintage point, both belonged to the party of
unconditional surrender against imperialism. Yeltsin has not persecuted him the
way Kostunica persecutes Milosevic. Nor has the West demonized him the way they
have demonized Milosevic. Nor can I imagine Milosevic standing up at Fulton,
Mississipi,  dwarfed by the dimensions of the colossal statue of Winston
Churchill, stolidly claiming -during an anniversary of Winnie's "Cold War"
speech- that it would be a shame if the powers in the West believed that the
downfall of the house of the Soviets meant a return to the pre-1914 situation
(what on earth could it have meant, if not that?).

It is not a matter of personal preferences. Gorbachev does not believe that
imperialism exists. Milosevic cannot afford to believe the same thing, even
though he may be unable to express it that way (the "reformist" side Louis
Proyect speaks of). I support Milosevic, unconditionally, against imperialism,
which does not imply that I agree with the ways in which he confronts
imperialism.

I reject both Gorbachev and Yeltsin, in this sense, since the two have knelt
down in front of the West. Gorbachev, more of an idealist, at the idol of
"democratic rights" and "tolerance". Yeltsin, more down-to-earth, at the only
idol that counts under capitalism, in fact at THE idol by definition: money.

Louis is convinced that Milosevic is less of an internationalist than is
necessary. Let us assume he is right (which I don't have a position on). Even
so, he is under attack. This is IMHO the basic issue. And we should also ask
ourselves why is this vicious attack going on, given that he is "fallen".

Again, the situation reminds that of Argentina after 1955.

Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
gorojovsky at arnet.com.ar