'Proof of Life'

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Thu Mar 8 14:35:21 MST 2001

>The movie 'Proof of life' have a premiere in Norway this coming weekend.
>From what I can gather it's a movie to defend the "Plan Colombia",
picturing a corrupt guerilla group called ELN as the bad guys. I'd like to
get hold of any moviecriticisms from an anti-imperialist perspective as
soon as possible.

>Magnus Bernhardsen

This movie has about much a chance of influencing public opinion on
Colombia as John Wayne's "The Green Berets" had on Vietnam. Here's a review
of the movie by the Cranky Critic (www.crankycritic.com):

---

Here's a dilemma: You're living in a South American craphole. Your
overbearing, left-wing husband has just been abducted by terrorists who
want a few million bucks for his release. The K&R (kidnap and ransom) guy
shows up and wouldn't you know it -- he's a hunk. This leaves you with
several options:

1. Do everything you can to get your husband back.

2. Do almost everything you can to get your husband back, but make googly
eyes with the K&R guy and always make sure to wear a tank top but no bra so
he can see the outline of your nipples.

3. Pretend your husband is dead. Have wild jungle sex with the K&R guy.
Come to the realization that your husband, though his heart is in the right
place, isn't that good in bed, doesn't have a cool accent and kind of looks
like a fuzzy testicle.

All the credit in the world to Alice (Meg Ryan), who chooses option number
2. Believe it or not, she doesn't sleep with Terry Thorne (Russell Crowe).
She just thinks about it. What's ironic about that small plot point is that
in real life, Meg Ryan chose option #3 and dumped hubby Dennis Quaid. Ryan
and Crowe are now, of course, an item, and I guess I was supposed to sit
through the film thinking about how well the real-life chemistry was
translating to the onscreen chemistry. Unfortunately, I was actually
thinking about the fact that Meg Ryan without a bra wasn't necessarily a
good thing. They make that piece of equipment for a very good reason. When
Meg and I are making love in my dreams, I am not trying to fondle a pair of
ping pong balls that are glued to a clump of yarn, and I don't think to
myself, "Man, these would make really good cat toys."

Director Taylor ("The Devil's Advocate") Hackford doesn't have the
slightest clue what he's doing. Is this a romance? An action-adventure? A
drama? You know, pick a subject, Taylor. Crowe stands on the top of some
cliff at the end looking like an advertisement for a sequel. Sadly, it
seemed like Hackford tossing in an insurance policy in case the movie was
good -- something Hackford still doesn't seem to know.

Louis Proyect