CPC still bars business people from party

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at SPAMmindspring.com
Thu Mar 8 22:15:09 MST 2001

Mark Munsterhjelm wrote:

> As for "returning" Taiwan to China. Taiwan is not part of China. Taiwan is occupied
>Aboriginal lands
> just as Canada is. The Dutch (1624 to 1661)began the invasion and colonisation of
>Taiwan followed by
> the Ming Dynasty loyalist Koxinga(1661 to 1683)  then the Ching Dynasty (1683 to
>1895), Japanese
> (1895 to 1945) and KMT (1945 to present). Even after two centuries of Chinese
>invasion due to strong
> military resistance by Taiwan's First Nations over 50 percent of Taiwan's territory
>were still under
> independent Taiwan First Nations control on the eve of the 1895 Japanese invasion.
>Continued First
> Nations resistance ensured that there was no Chinese presence or control of these
>areas until the KMT
> flooded it with refugee settlers and decommissioned soldiers after WWII in massive
>land grab. So
> those who claim that Taiwan is some inalienable part of China are also legitimating
>the Japanese and
> KMT's invasions and colonization of Taiwan's Aboriginal peoples.
>
>  "Returning Taiwan to China" is a concept based on empty nationalist mythologies
>without regard to
> Taiwan's history. Taiwan is now a country dominated by people of Chinese ancestry
>but it is still
> occupied unceded Aboriginal lands.  Therefore it is not some "inalienable" part of
>"China" and cannot
> be "returned."

This view of your is so ridiculous, it is not even worth debating.  Using Aboriginal
land as a argument
for independence is such a non starter. The fact remains that Taiwan exists in its
current form solely
because of US imperialist policy in reaction to the Korean War.  You should return the
house you are
occupying to Taiwanese indigenous Aborigines, which by the way is a Western derogatory
term.

Your version of the history of Taiwan is not factual.  Taiwan was settled in the 7th
century by Chinese
from Fujian province and had been part of China since.  Chinese immigrants did not
have conflicts with
indigenous inhabitants and they intermarried.  In 1590, the Portuguese arrived and
mapped it as Formosa
(Portuguese: beautiful) in Western maps for Western navigation.  In 1624, the Dutch
established forts in
the south at present Tainan, while the Spaniards established in the north.  Both the
Dutch and Spaniards
established only military outposts, but never colonized Taiwan which remain mostly
inhabited by Chinese
civilians.  In 1641, the Dutch expelled the Spaniards.  Neither Spain nor the
Netherlands claim
sovereignty of Taiwan, but mere military occupation.  In 1862, Zheng Xinggong
(Koxinga), a general of the
falling Ming dynasty fleeing from the Manchus, expelled the Dutch and reclaimed Taiwan
as an exile
government of the Ming Court on Chinese soil, but not as an independent nation.  The
Island submitted to
the Qing Court under Zheng's son in 1868, who was honored by the Qing Court.  Japan
gained control of
Taiwan by the Treaty of Shimonoseki in 1895 as a result of of the First Sino-Japan
War.  The Cairo
Declaration of 1943 and the Potsdam Conference of 1945, RETURNED Taiwan to China as a
province.  In 1949,
the KMT under Chiang Kiashek fled to Taiwan as part of Chinese territory.  The PRC
planned an invasion of
Taiwan to complete the civil war, but the plan was thawed by Truman's order of the
Seventh Fleet to
defend the Taiwan Strait.  In 1955 Eisenhower signed a defense treaty with China
Kaishek to defend Taiwan
and the Prescadores.  In support of Chiang repeated pronounced aim of "freeing China
from communism", the
US used Taiwan as a base for espionage and guerrilla forays into the Chinese
mainland..  In 1962, The ROC
government admitted making U-2 flight from Taiwan.  After Chiang's death, the Chinese
people had hopes
that his son Chiang Qingguo, who had been a member of the CPC, would reunite with the
PRC (following the
historical example of Zheng Xinggong), but US hostility prevented all progress on that
front. The
so-called indigenous people of Taiwan never assumed political status. They are among
the 65 minorities
recognized by the PRC.  Even the pro independence movement on Taiwan never claims
independence in the
name of Taiwanese "aborigines", as you have done. And I resent having to waste
precious energy and time
to refute such a ridiculous view.  This is a serious list for the study of Marxism,
not a freakish venue
for half baked fantasies.  For that I suggest you join the web site of Lyndon Larouche.

Henry C.K. Liu