Radical ethnocentrism and tribal nations

Hunter Gray HUNTERBEAR at SPAMprodigy.net
Fri Mar 9 10:42:48 MST 2001

I appreciate Henry Liu's response but continue to differ -- I do so
politely -- on a couple of points.  I know very little about the situation
in Taiwan but its government would be among those I "indict" in my sharp
criticism of urban/industrial systems from a tribal perspective. I'm
speaking of the indigenous, tribal Nations  of Taiwan and their peoples who,
I understand, continue to maintain their socio-cultural identities.  With
respect to "assimilation" and "cohabitation:"  There has certainly been
biological inter-ethnic and interracial intermarriage from the outset of
Humanity onward -- and Mr Liu and I certainly agree on that.  But biological
"mixing" by Native people with non-Natives certainly does not  mean at all
that the "mixee" gives up, say, his/her aboriginal  identity.  Quite the
contrary is far more the rule. There are several million of these  "mixed
and firmly committed to the indigenous foundation" situations in the United
States and Canada!  [ It can, I concede, get a bit complex! I'm reminded of
the 1/8th Creek - 7/8th Scottish Creek Indian warchief, Billy Weatherford
[Red Eagle], who destroyed Fort Mims and its garrison in Alabama in
13    -- a fort commanded by a man who was  himself 1/2 Creek and 1/2 Anglo
and who identified as  a White American.]  Native mixed-bloods in North
America -- at least north of Mexico -- tend to very heavily favour primary
tribal identification.  But, anyway.  It's with "assimilation" that I take
real issue here:  In the U.S. [and Canada] attempted assimilation -- openly
and covertly -- vis-a-vis Native people has been the primary  policy thrust
for 150 years in that continuing common denominator of United States and
Canadian Indian policy:  to get rid of the Natives, end all Federal treaty
obligations, and seize remaining Indian land and other resources.  From that
standpoint, "assimilation" to Native tribal people here, at least, is
something to resist -- as attempted cultural genocide -- and to resist with
every conceivable means at our command. I would assume this is the case in
many many other settings on our Earth [my wife, whose Saami interests and
identification are strong, assures me that this is the case for most of
those wide-ranging and essentially Mongoloid people and bands known as
"Lapp."]  I'd like to get to China someday, to see for myself -- and I do
have a personal obligation to visit Mongolia before long.  In Solidarity -
Hunter
Hunter Gray
www.hunterbear.org