Damn Yankees Think They Know Everything, Don't They?

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Tue Mar 13 08:13:39 MST 2001

Gorojovsky wrote:

> En relación a Re: Damn Yankees Think They Know Everything, Don',
> el 13 Mar 01, a las 0:24, Carrol Cox dijo:
>
> > Incidentally -- there has never been a decent collective name for
> > inhabitants of the U.S. "Americans" covers two continents and Usaians is
> > sort of awkward. If we could finally complete Reconstruction we could
> > all call ourselves Yankees.
>
> As  you are known aborad. But in my own country, at least, the word is so full
> of the worst connotations (it verges on abuse) that I think this will not
> settle the issue.

:-) Yes -- I was aware of both of those facts, but left it to some
comrade abroad to make the point. I had particularly in mind the phrase
"Yankee Go Home." In some organizing work in the past I have used
variations on that -- like "Bring the Damn Yankees Home." Until that is
honored there is no reason for our name, whatever it is, to be other
than abusive.

Carrol