Damn Yankees Think They Know Everything, Don't They?

Jose G. Perez jgperez at SPAMnetzero.net
Tue Mar 13 08:17:29 MST 2001

>>I would assume that when substantual numbers of southern whites begin to
whokeheartedly accept black leadership and belong to organizations with
a majority black membership, then from a working class perspective the
south will have joined the United States. <<

There isn't today, I don't think, the kind of homogeneous white population
in the South this would tend to imply.

Over at CNN, I only know three or four genuine sons of the South, and
they're all far from the stereotyped redneck, although a couple of them are
genuine farm boys from places like Vidalia (didn't know they grew anything
except onions in Vidalia, did you?).

The same is true throughout Atlanta, and it just reflects the reality that
the population of the U.S., especially since WWII, has been extremely
mobile.

The stuff presented by Tony about the gizillions of white folk of Dallas-Ft.
Worth or Atlanta or Jax-Orlando-Tampa or Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-W. Palm, etc.,
being unreconstructed rebs who resent all the damn yankee carpetbaggers and
so on is bunk. The majority of the white population of most of these places
are northern transplants, about as genuinely southern as the Bushes.

As Marx and Engels noted long ago, the development of capitalism tends to
reduce "regionalisms," and in the leading cities of the South, that's a
process that's been largely consumated.

A lof of the identification with the South and the Confederacy of southern
whites was artificial anyways, consciously created and promoted by the
capitalists and the politicians in the 50's and 60's to keep "uppity
n******" in their place.

As for the role of southern whites in general, the active KKK element was a
tiny minority, the only thing that magnified their impact was official
sponsorship. But even that is powerless to resist the tide of demographic
and social change.

The next town over from Decatur, where I live, is called Stone Mountain, and
that's a big piece of granite where the god ol' boys carved themselves a
monument to the leaders of the Slaveowners rebellion and now it's a tourist
attraction.

For decades the mayor of Stone Mountain was some sort of Grand Beagle or
some other kind of KKK dog, and that was true into the early 90s. When he
retired, he was replaced by a Black.

José