Damn Yankees Think They Know Everything, Don't They?

Thu Mar 15 06:14:41 MST 2001

[ bounced from unsubbed "Jose G. Perez" <jg_perez at bellsouth.net> ]

> I think it should be understood that Atlanta is just about the most
> atypical place in the whole South.     That's the reason that Jose lives
> there, I am willing to bet?    And it's the reason that Atlanta is
> almost the only place that national organizations of the Left, all seem
> able to arrive to, and then create a small local organization there, of
> principally transplants from other parts of the country.     All the
> while being mostly absent elsewhere in the South.

If Atlanta is the most atypical place in the whole South, what do you call
Miami, or Orlando for that matter?

You continue railing about "transplants"  from other parts of the country as
if this were something unique or unusual, but it just ain't so. The U.S.
population, especially since the WWII, has been extraordinarily mobile, and
major cities throughout the South reflect this.

As to why I'm living in Atlanta, it's got nothing to do with it being
typical or untypical. It's the place where one of my best friends from
Nicaragua, a Nicaraguan who'd fallen in love and married a young woman from
Atlanta who had come to Nicaragua with a National Geographic photographer as
an interpreter, was living. My companion and I needed some place to crash
when we moved to the states in 1988, and these friends were willing to help.

As to why Decatur as opposed to Atlanta proper, I've lived in both, but
always fairly close to Emory University for practical reasons having to do
with work, family and so on.

Jose