Forwarded from Anthony (south)

Carrol Cox cbcox at SPAMilstu.edu
Fri Mar 16 07:09:44 MST 2001

Louis Proyect wrote:

> Hi Lou:
>
> Please post.
>
> Damn Yankees, Southern Consciousness, etiquette, and party building.
>

> 2. The slave south WAS treated as a defeated nation politically during
> reconstruction - even if the treatment wasn’t as harsh as the racist white
> oligarchy would have liked people to believe. Lou posted an interesting
> book review, which included this paragraph, "My only cavil with Current's
> excellent book is that, in his laudable zeal to do justice to these 10 men
> and their motives, there is a tendency to slight the crucial fact that,
> however high-principled and well-intentioned most were, they were, after
> all, Northerners who were in one way or another imposed on a defeated
> community by force of arms.

You mean a defeated gang of thugs. No discussion of 'the south' can be
legitimate which treats the slavedrivers as a legitimate political
community. The convicts in U.S prisons today are a far more legitimate
or respectable human community tha those murderous white gentlemen of
the old south.

There can be no rational discussion of u.s. history until this is taken
as axiomatic. The great crime of the U.S. government was that it did not
confiscate all the property of these criminals and sednd them into
permanent exile, deprived of citizenship. There can be no legitimate
political force in the south that does not reject with utter contempt
any "southern heritage" that even as a footnote honors that mass
murderer, Robt. E. Lee. What were the Union casualties in the war of the
slavedrivers' insurrection? What might they have been if Lee had honored
his oaths of loyalty?

This whole thread is poisonous. These points about the confederacy ought
not need to be made.

Carrol
Carrol