Forwarded from Anthony (south)

Jay Moore research at SPAMwww.neravt.com
Fri Mar 16 13:26:32 MST 2001

As someone who comes from an "old Southern family" who was organized by his
grandmother when he was little to dress  up in a gray child-sized uniform
and help her decorate the graves of the "fallen" on Confederate decoration
day and who went to Stonewall Jackson High School (proud home of the
"Generals"), I have to say I agree most with Louis.  The sooner the better
we get rid of this reactionary nonsense, which has been nothing but a dead
political weight on the rest of the country as well as on the South.
However, it should be pointed out that not all white Southerners were
pro-secession or pro-slavery by any means.  The U.S. Civil War was also a
civil war involving different parts of the South.  West Virginia, seceeded
from Virginia, to remain in the Union.  Much of hillbilly small-farm eastern
Tenessee (where Andrew Johnson came from) supported the Union and fought
guerilla-style against the Rebs.  There was even one county in northern
Alabama that refused to seceed with the rest of the State.  I believe they
went on to raise a regiment to fight with the Union armies.  (In the North,
on the other hand, we had in certain areas -- New York City being one of
them -- whole nests of proSouthern "copperheads".)  Maryland had both
Federal and Rebel regiments.  Then, there were Southern-born abolitionists
like the Grimke sisters (of course, they had to flee North).  Etc. But,
anyway, there are a  bunch of examples of people from south of the
Mason-Dixon Line who tried to do the right thing back then.  Southern
history ought to recover their stories and put them forward, as it purges
the other drek.  And see how complicated this history really was certainly
ought to go against reified cultural traits.

best,
jay
www.neravt.com/left/