Confederate Heroes

Mark Lause lause at SPAMworldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 17 08:46:58 MST 2001

There were Confederates, of course, who repudiated their war as a "rich
man's war and a poor man's fight".  Of what's today estimated at around 1.2
enlistments in the Confederate military, only 100,000 (probably a high
estimate) were around to surrender at the end.  Most Southern whites had a
great deal more sense than their leaders.  The bulk of those old gray-clad
men who marched in the Southern Memorial Days in the 1890s were draftees who
had actually done the most honorable thing and deserted.

There were many "reconstructed rebels" like Albert Parsons, the Haymarket
martyr.  I encountered an interesting story in the _Irish World_ for 1880
about the Greenback-Laborites who won election to office in Yalabush County,
Mississippi.  These reorganized the multiracial political coalitions of
Reconstruction, if only briefly, under the slogan of a "free and fair
ballot"--that is black voting rights.  In Yalabush County, they elected a
Confederate veteran named Pearson to be sheriff.  Also living there was the
state chairman of the Greenback-Labor Party was a Captain A.T. Wimberly who
had ridden with Gen. Forrest during the war (hardly a paragon of racial
virtue).  The Democratic county committee essentially warned them repeatedly
to cease and desist.  They didn't, so the Democrats opened fire on them,
apparently killing Pearson in broad daylight in front of his own office.
Another shootout took place on election day 1880 wherein proponents of the
white Redeemer governments gunned down the editor of the Holmes County Times
and the son-in-law of A.M. West (the Mississsippian who ran in 1884 for vice
presidency on behalf of the Antimonopolists).

Southern white ex-Confederate heroes?  Absolutely.  There is a need to
recover the deeper history of the South.

Of course, they'd have not liked the term "carpetbagger," and you'd have to
be actually interested in Southern history to meet them.

Solidarity,
Lause