Handbook of Texas Online: CIVIL-RIGHTS MOVEMENT

Tony Abdo aabdo at SPAMwebtv.net
Sun Mar 18 09:57:07 MST 2001

I plead guilty, Erik.    The discussion has been mainly in regards to
the portion of the Civil Rights Movement pertaining principally to the
Black community.     But Civil Rights is a Movement that also involved
the Chicano community, and the Native American population, also.

In the context of the struggle for Civil Rights in the Mexican-American
community, Texas played a key role.     Most especially South Texas.

Texas is a huge state, and I have a tendency to see things in terms of
what I more directly experienced (while much younger) in North Texas.
As someone pointed out in this discussion already, the South on the
whole is very different within different parts.    Virginia is not
Louisiana, and South Florida is not South Texas.

That's part of the reason that one person's generalizations can be so
different from another person's generalized overview.     At times, I am
guilty of exageration about how silent North Texas appeared.

Though Dallas was very quiescent during the '60s, there were small Civil
Rights demonstrations from time to time.     Many of these involved
prayers on the steps of City Hall.    I went to some of these as a
teenager.

It was very hard to know what all was going on from the Dallas papers at
that time.     The local press consisted of some of the most virulent
Dixiecrat papers imaginable.

I have forwarded a brief overview of some of Texas's Civil Rights
battles of the past.    It is good in that it examines both the Chicano
and Black Civil Rights Movement as they entwined themselves together in
struggle against the common enemy.... the dominant White racism of
Texas.

Tony
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hola Camaradas:
"Even the Civil Rights Movement missed Texas."

OK, Tony A. you got me on this one?  What do you mean with the CM
missed Texas?  Are you stating that the CM of MLK missed Texas?  I
can only state that at least in Chicano history, Texas is one of the key
states where the Chicano had one of the strongest impact being the birth
place to MAYO, student walk-out preceding Los Angeles, having a large
presence in the La Raza Unida Party Brown Berets, SWVRP, and LULAC, and
being of the places with strong organizing of farmworkers outside of
California.

Erik Toren

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/print/CC/pkcfl.html