stock market and stock yard science

Sun Mar 18 13:06:22 MST 2001

apropos of recent posts on the stock market hype, herewith several articles
in the esteemed New York Times:

How Did They Value Stocks? Count the Absurd Ways
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/technology/18PERF.html

Is the Fate of the Markets Written in the Stars?
http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/business/business-markets-astr.html

Some investors are turning to astroeconomics, the art of using astrological
cycles to predict financial asset prices, in deciding where to put their
money -- and other people's money.
<<<

zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Market Watch: The Future Won't Be as Good as It Was
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/business/18WATC.html

Econ 2001: Tips for the Shellshocked
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/weekinreview/18DICK.html

do i detect a trend here???

Preludes: Therapy for Dot-Com Survivors
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/technology/18PREL.html

Healing From Executive Trauma
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/technology/18PROF.html

i'm not making this up....

Nestor said:

> As we used to paint on the walls in Buenos
> Aires, a quarter of a century ago: "If we want
> safe meat, we must slaughters the cattle owners".

Contaminated Food Makes Millions Ill Despite Advances
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/18/health/18FOOD.html

"Tapeworm and botulism have been all but eradicated in this country, and new
technologies from freeze-drying to irradiation have been developed to make
food safer. But because of changing eating habits and more choices of foods,
Americans may be more likely to get sick from what they eat today than they
were half a century ago.

The frequency of serious gastrointestinal illness, a common gauge of food
poisoning, is 34 percent above what it was in 1948, according to the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention. Not all scientists agree with that
conclusion — some say that food poisoning is as common as in the immediate
postwar years, but not necessarily more so — yet there is no doubt about the
scale of the problem.

Every year, the agency says, 5,000 deaths, 325,000 hospitalizations and 76
million illnesses are caused by food poisoning.

[snip]

Although much of the fear surrounding food safety focuses on meat and
poultry, especially beef, the General Accounting Office estimates that 85
percent of food poisoning comes from the fruits, vegetables, seafood and
cheeses that are regulated by the F.D.A. and claim a larger share of the
American diet each year. And poisoning from such foods can be every bit as
deadly as that from meat and poultry.

Still, the F.D.A. has less than a tenth of the inspectors of the Department
of Agriculture, which regulates the meat and poultry industry. So while
U.S.D.A. inspectors examine meat before it gets to grocery freezers, the
F.D.A. must increasingly rely on the companies it regulates to keep their
factories clean and their products safe.

Now, with slightly more than 400 inspectors to ferret out violations in
57,000 plants across the nation, the F.D.A. inspects food manufacturers
about once every eight years. Some health officials, consumer advocates and
epidemiologists doubt that without more of a presence the F.D.A. can catch
contaminated food at the source and prevent it from getting into the food
supply.

"The F.D.A. is simply going from crisis to crisis and attempting to put out
the fires," said Caroline Smith DeWaal, food safety director for the Center
for Science in the Public Interest, a nonprofit group."

[snip]

Many health officials worry that as consolidation transforms the food
industry from countless local farms to a handful of giant corporations that
ship their products worldwide, the reach of contaminated food is expanding,
magnifying problems when they do occur.

paging Paddy Appling....

les schaffer