Forwarded from Anthony (prohibition and the left)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sun Mar 18 18:08:57 MST 2001

Hi Lou:

Please post.

I am interested in finding information about the politics of the Communist
Party in the USA - and the left in general, including social democrats,
anarchists, the Farmer Labor Party, etc. - to prohibition in the USA from
the passage of the Volstead Act to the day FDR et. al. put an end to it. In
all of my reading of history of the US left - which ahs been considerable -
I do not remember anything substantial on the issue. I think it might be
very relevant to the current day "prohibition" against drugs, and to the
"war on drugs" in particular.

Anthony

Louis Proyect