Can Labor Change the World? - Strategies for the 21st Century

Mon Mar 19 12:22:59 MST 2001

Can Labor Change the World? - Strategies for the 21st Century
Labor Notes Conference
April 20-22, 2001

After years of retreat, we are learning that working people do have power on the job
and in the streets. We saw it at Kaiser Aluminum, Boeing, Verizon Communications, and
on the waterfront in Charleston, South Carolina.

We saw it in hundreds of workplaces and dozens of unions-from New York City public
workers to meatpackers in Pasco, Washington and nurses in Worcester, Massachusetts. We
saw this power magnified when grassroots forces allied for common goals as in Seattle.

The 2001 Labor Notes Conference, "Can Labor Change The World?," will bring together
hundreds of grassroots labor and social justice activists to learn how we are building
and using our power, from the workplace to the World Trade Organization.

Join us in Detroit, April 20-22, 2001.

********************************

Conference Information

Place: Cobo Conference Center, downtown Detroit

Registration: $80 ($120 Canadian) includes Saturday Banquet.  Some scholarships
available.

Lodging: Choose from two nearby hotels. Mention Labor Notes for these rates.
- Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center $99/all sizes; 313-568-8000 or 800-228-9290.
- Crown Plaza Ponchartrain Hotel $129/all sizes; 313-965-0200.

Airline discounts: 5% off Northwest/Continental flights. Phone 800-328-1111 and
mention Labor Notes Worldfile # NMSEN.

Childcare: (ages over 1 year): Available for a fee if registered by March 30.

********************************

Speakers to include:

Ken Riley and the Charleston 5
Tom Leedham, candidate for Teamsters president
Carl Biers, Association for Union Democracy
Marta Ojeda, Coalition for Justice in the Maquiladoras
Ray Markey, AFSCME District Council 37 Committee for Real Change
Monica Santana, Latino Workers Center, New York
Kim Moody, Labor Notes
Steve Early, CWA Verizon strike staff
Daniel Ximenez, Argentine general strike of 2000

******************

Also speakers from:
New Directions, TWU Local 100
Coalition for Sustainable Jobs and Environment
United Students Against Sweatshops
Coalition for Dignity and Amnesty for Undocumented Workers
Teamsters for a Democratic Union
North Carolina Black-Latino Alliance
UAW New Directions
...And many more

******************

Over 40 workshops including:
Labor and new alliances
The fight for global justice
Building workplace power
Union democracy
Winning strikes
Living wage campaigns
Jobs with Justice
Fighting racism on the job
...And many more

********************************

REGISTER TODAY!
Return with check or credit card info to:  Labor Notes, 7435 Michigan Ave, Detroit, MI
 48210

Name:  __________________________________________________

Address:  _______________________________________________

City/State/Zip: _________________________________________

Union/Organization: _____________________________________

Phone:  ___________________ Email: ______________________

___ Enclosed is the registration fee of $80 per person ($120 Canadian). Or $10 off if
you register by January 31.

___  Here is a contribution of $ ______ toward the conference scholarship fund.

___  I will need childcare. (Registration deadline is March 15. Children must be older
than one year. A fee will be charged.)

Please charge $____ registration fee to my credit card:

For more information phone Labor Notes at 313-842-6262, or visit www.labornotes.org