Phone scam

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Fri Mar 23 09:48:12 MST 2001

[I just received this at work]

To:     Clinical Administrators
Fr:     Kathleen O'Donnell

PLEASE PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying
himself as an AT&T Service technician who was conducting a test on the
telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine
 (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.  Upon contacting the
telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#,  you give the
requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables the
individual to place long distance calls billed to your  home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local
jails/prisons.

Please beware. DO NOT press 90# for anyone.

Please pass this on to everyone you know. If you have mailing lists
and/or newsletters from organization you are connected with, I encourage
you to
pass on this information to them, too.

Louis Proyect