Cuba, USSR and Africa (was: Re: intro:Vanessa fromVenezuela)

Mon Mar 26 10:53:20 MST 2001

>>> Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net 03/26/01 11:08AM >>>
Macdonald Stainsby wrote:

> The USSR, in public,
> supported the MPLA, but did nothing on the ground, as was in line with
Brezhnev's
> detente attempts. The Cuban government did little at first as well, but
responded to
> requests from the MPLA for help when South Africa (through Namibia)
attacked them
> with American aid. Once the Cubans got involved (using humans, not
resources) the
> USSR was sufficiently "shamed" into helping the MPLA through the sending
of weapons.
> In other words, they had to be dragged into the conflict kicking and
screaming,
> whereas the Cuban contingent had known long before hand which end was up,
and what an
> internationalist response from a revolutionary state might be.

Macdonald,

do you have any source for this claim? The Reaganite (and the Breznevite)
version of the story is that Cuba and the USSR worked in close cooperation
in Angola.

As you know as one of these nasty Trots I am no big admirer of Breznev, but
when there were situations he was on the right side, even subjects like me
will appreciate it.

CB: Also, the Soviets had to consider that confrontations with the U.S. everywhere fed
into the danger of a nuclear war with them. This a lesson of the Cuban missile crisis.

  Wholesale "export of revolution" was a much stickier wicket than a first glance
might conclude.