Maoist Internationalist Movement

Paul Flewers hatchet.job at SPAMvirgin.net
Mon Mar 26 13:33:18 MST 2001

Juan Fajardo wrote: < The Maoist Internationalist Movement started life as
the Revolutionary
Internationalist Movement, but after the name was adopted by the grouping
which was formed as a result of an international conference of maoist
parties in 1984, MIM adopted the name which it bears still.  MIM has been
sore at the RCP ever since over this name business and claims that the name
was usurped.  It is doubtful that any of the conference's participants had
any knowledge of the RIM/MIM in 1984, but if the RCP did --and there is no
reason to think that they did not-- it is doubtful that they would have let
RIM/MIM's feelings get in the way of its own project. >

The RCP in Britain was formed at a conference held in May 1981, it was the
Revolutionary Communist Tendency before that. I had no knowledge of the RIM
until later on in the 1980s, when it started turning up to meetings, street
sales and demonstrations. One group that was highly miffed was the
pro-Albanian Revolutionary Communist Party of Britain (Marxist-Leninist), a
member of whom told me that we'd stolen their name. In defence, there is,
after all, a finite number of adjectives and nouns that left-wing groups can
use. I suppose they got last laugh, as the RCPB(M-L) is still going,
somewhat disoriented after the fall of the Hoxhaite regime in Albania, but
my old lot gave up the ghost four years ago. About 20 years ago, the
RCPB(M-L) was involved in a strike in an electronics works in South London
where they had some members. It was a bit weird: the factory bulletins they
put out would have normal trade union issues like pay and working conditions
alongside descriptions of delegations' visits to Albania. What the average
union members there thought, I didn't find out. The RCPB(M-L) used to be
called the Communist Party of England (Marxist-Leninist) (not to be confused
with the Communist Party of Britain (Marxist-Leninist), which ended up
pro-Moscow in the 1980s), and is part of the international grouping led by
Hardial Bains (I think that's the right spelling).

Paul F