Hoof and mouth disease

Xxxx Xxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx at xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Wed Mar 28 15:17:55 MST 2001

At 09:07 AM 3/29/01 +1200, you wrote:
>Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >Hey, don't animal rights activists and ex-LMers agree in opposing
> >slaughter of the h and m diseased animals ?
>

> >I don't think either animal rights activists or ex-LMers are opposing the
> >slaughter of *diseased* animals.  What is being objected to is the *mass
> >slaughter of healthy animals* as the hoof and mouth panic takes on all the
> >signs of a crazed medieval crusade.
>
> >Philip Ferguson

Philip, can you provide reference for this? that ex-Lmers (whoever they
are) are opposing the slaughter of healthy animals? It seems to me that
what you say about the food and mouth _panic_  matches with the current
thinking of LM, albeit unintentionally. In the recent issue posted by Lou,
LMers are attacking animal rights groups on the grounds that they are
causing *moral panic* by moralizing the enviromental consequences of
capitalism on animals. So Lm's argument seems to be that, not so many
animals are effected by the disease as animal rights supporters would
claim; and their *moral panic* is the cause of state's destroying of
healthy animals and an obstacle to progress in modern agriculture. briefly,
this is what I understand from LM's ways of thinking

(btw, LM's attack at anti-racism and anti-sexism fighters are along the
same discourse of moral panic too. since we have opened a topic on
anti-reperations issue, does anyone know what LM thinks about Brown
protests or the issue of reperations in general? ).

bye, Xxxx

---
Xxxx Xxxxx Xxxxxx
Ph.D student