Puerto Rican postmodernists: please make us the 51st state

Magnus Bernhardsen magnus.bernhardsen at SPAMnm.no
Fri Mar 30 10:59:56 MST 2001

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:36:15 -0500
>From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com>
>Subject: Puerto Rican postmodernists: please make us the 51st state
>
>[If poor Jim Blaut hadn't died last November, this article surely would
>have killed him. It is from the latest Lingua Franca and reports on the
>convergence between postmodernist ideology and advocating that Puerto Rico
>become the USA's 51st state. Based on the reference below to an equation
>made by some of these pomos between Puerto Rican nationalism and "genocide
>in the Balkans", I strongly suspect that a subscriber to Mark's crashlist
>might have been coming from that direction. Unfortunately, the article is
>not on the www.linguafranca.com website but you can check the site for
>information on how to get a copy of the magazine. Here is an excerpt.]

Thank you so much for making this text available. I've shared it around here in Oslo
and we've laughed all afternoon. It's a sad story, of course, but nonetheless very
amusing.

Magnus Bernhardsen