Thousands Protest Against IMF in Turkey

Louis Proyect lnp3 at SPAMpanix.com
Sat Mar 31 21:45:25 MST 2001

A PEN-L'er posted the same piece that Jay did, with the following prefatory
remarks:

Friends,

Below is a Reuters news piece on recent developments in Turkey. In these
days Turkey is not only
economicaly but also socially highly unstable. Anything can happen at this
time, including a low
probability military coup and a high probability Peruvian type military
arrangement with a
Fujimori like puppet, most likely a fascist nationalist, at the front and
military control behind
the curtain. I also think that a USA approved economist, like the current
one, the former WB Vice
President Kemal Dervis, would be in charge of the economy, if any of these
and similar scenarios
holds.

However, for the first time in the recent history of Turkey, the masses are
awakening. The
so-called Labor Platform, consisting of confederations of labor and public
employees unions,
chambers of engineering, and architecture, unions of physicians and
dentists and the like, and
supported by the union of chambers of agriculture, joined forces with
leftist/labor friendly
academics and prepared an alternative economic program to the one dictated
by the IMF. Whether
this attempt will be succesful is an unknown. The Turkish State being a
fascist state, their
chance of success is rather small. Nevertheless, the fact that it happened
is an indication of the
potential power of systemic crises in the mobilization of those who sell
their labor power against
the established order. Here, the key word is "potential". I am not claiming
that any systemic
disaster, such as a recession or depression, would lead to an organized
uprising against the
"establishment". However, as this real-life example demonstrates, it may.

Of course, for those of you who live "in the heart of the beast", by the
way I live there too,the
the likelihood of this, especially in these days, is very small (I would
even say, negligibly).
Hence, the not so friendly debate on this topic among some leftists from
the core capitalist
countries, most of whom from the US, is not at all surprising to me.

Hey! Give yourselves some credit and be easy on one and other please.

After all, "you are fighting the most difficult fights of all!"

Best,
Sabri

At 06:02 PM 3/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Thousands Protest Against IMF in Turkey

>----
>
>Story Filed: Saturday, March 31, 2001 8:07 AM EST
>
>ANKARA (Reuters) - Thousands of demonstrators took to the streets in cities
>across Turkey on Saturday to protest at economic reforms backed by the
>International Monetary Fund.

Louis Proyect