Forwarded from Nestor (NAFTA-Marxism)

Jose G. Perez jgperez at netzero.net
Fri May 4 21:21:39 MDT 2001

>>Pressures on Mexican intelectuals?  NAFTA is not eroding their lifestyles.
I'd think that the opposite is happening.  Maybe other Mexican members in
this list, if there are any, could help me with this.  But my belief is that
after 1995, there has been a steady expansion of opportunities for
intellectuals in Mexico.  Teaching and research job openings have increased
(I based this in anecdotal evidence).  A new university is to be opened in
Mexico City.  Book publishing, journalism, all those activities that depend
on intellectual labor have been enjoying a revival.<<

I think you have demonstrated the validity of Nestor's post most
thoroughly -- as well as your own blindness to the process. You think of
pressure and  influence only in a negative sense, overlooking what is right
before your nose.

>>It also seems to me that the traditional insularism of most Mexican
intellectuals, although not entirely gone, is having a good chance of being
swept or reduced by this feeling of increased connection with the world.<<

If by the "world" you mean Hollywood and Disneyland, yes.

José

>You are just avoiding the issue, Julio. Would you please read the
>whole posting where I explain WHY I believe that your kind of Marxism
>expresses the pressures laid by economic integration with the USA on
>Mexican intellectuals?

Pressures on Mexican intelectuals?  NAFTA is not eroding their lifestyles.
I'd think that the opposite is happening.  Maybe other Mexican members in
this list, if there are any, could help me with this.  But my belief is that
after 1995, there has been a steady expansion of opportunities for
intellectuals in Mexico.  Teaching and research job openings have increased
(I based this in anecdotal evidence).  A new university is to be opened in
Mexico City.  Book publishing, journalism, all those activities that depend
on intellectual labor have been enjoying a revival.

It also seems to me that the traditional insularism of most Mexican
intellectuals, although not entirely gone, is having a good chance of being
swept or reduced by this feeling of increased connection with the world.

As for your e-mail, I read it with attention.  There's NOTHING of substance.
  I express views that arise from my own personal experience.  I'd think
that if you wish to expose the true class nature of my theses, you need to
refute them coherently.  As I said before, how can one justify to oneself
her political positions if the premises on which they are based are not a
bit clear in one's mind?  Herd behavior?  Vested cyber-reputation as a tough
anti-imperialist fire-eater?

The pretension that you can understand the true motivations underlying my
points of view by an "analysis" like the one you supply is preposterous.
Again, focus on the theses.  You may need something a bit more coherent than
your "full reproduction circle" theory.