Palesine: LAW Weekly Roundup 26 April - 2 May 2001

Les Schaffer schaffer at
Sun May 6 21:42:42 MDT 2001

[ bounce html format from "john.m. cox" <hazel_motes52 at>,
reformated ]

LAW Weekly Roundup 26 April - 2 May 2001

10 Palestinians killed 
Israeli trespass of PA areas & demolition of 19 homes 
Tighter siege on residential areas and iron gates set on main routes


Sunday 29 April 2001 saw Israeli diplomatic moves to bring the
8-month-old uprising to an end, with Israeli foreign minister Shimon
Peres' visits to the Egyptian and Jordanian leaders in their
respective countries. Egyptian president Husni Mubarak announced that
Peres had expressed desire to reach settlement and agreement between
Israelis and Palestinians and bring an end to the violence. However,
when Peres arrived in Tel Aviv he denied the announcement, claiming
that there had been `ambiguity in translation.'

Week 30 included yet more Israeli escalation against Palestinians,
resulting in the deaths of another ten. Three of these died of gunshot
wounds, two were killed during shelling and five died in `mysterious
circumstances' when two large explosions shook Gaza and Ramallah
within only 5 hours of each other.

There have also been several Israeli military attempts to trespass
PA-controlled areas, especially in the Gaza Strip, as well as the
bulldozing of wide swathes of agricultural lands and the
establishments upon them, which represent the only income for dozens
of Palestinian families. Dozens more families have been made homeless
with the ruthless demolition of their houses. The most severe
bulldozing was performed by Israeli forces at dawn on Wednesday 2 May
2001, when their bulldozers trespassed PA-controlled areas in Al
Sha'er and Brazil, south Rafah, Gaza, and demolished 9 residential
houses in an operation similar to that on 14 April in the area
surrounding Salah Al Deen Gate.

In light of the political and information war being led by the Israeli
Israeli forces have lightened the siege imposed on Palestinian people
in order to improve the living conditions of ordinary
civilians. However these are empty claims, as in reality Israel's
military siege is still in place over Palestinian residential areas in
the West Bank and Gaza Strip and indeed in some areas is being
tightened through the new method of setting iron gates at the main
streets linking Palestinian cities, particularly in the West Bank.

Israeli military forces also continued shelling residential areas and
civil establishments with artillery, tanks and heavy ammunition. In
addition, Israeli forces have continued arresting and maltreating
Palestinian civilians in prisons within the Green Line.

Following are the gravest violations committed by Israeli forces
within the Palestinian Territories during the period 26 April -- 2 May

1. Excessive use of armed force:

During the period of this report, three Palestinian civilians were
killed, away from flashpoints, by excessive Israeli force:

1. 45-year-old Atef Wahdan from Al Tufah quarter in Gaza.
2. 33-year-old Imad Qaraqe' from Aida refugee camp.
3. 45-year-old Adnan Odeh from Al Heeleh village in Qalqilya.

At around 8:25am on Thursday 26 April, Israeli soldiers stationed at
Gaza's south-eastern border opened fire at 45-year-old Atef Wahdan
from Al Tufah in Gaza, hitting him in the head and killing him

According to information gathered by LAW from the Gaza Strip, the
victim was working in an orange grove belonging to the Zamo family. He
went to bring some water from a place inside the garden, at which
point he was shot in the head from a distance of 400m. No clashes were
taking place at the time.

At around 6:15pm that day, Israeli soldiers opened fire at a military
car passing Qalandia -- Giv'at Za'ev Street west Qalandia, injuring
Palestinian taxi-driver Zuheir Nasser in the left leg.

Nasser, 40, from Safa village in Ramallah, stated that he was on his
way home accompanied by three passengers from his village. After
crossing Qalandia-Giv'at Za'ev settlement route and taking a bypass
route that leads to Safa and Beit Luqia, he stopped the car to go to
the toilet. An Israeli military jeep was passing on its way to west
Jerusalem. Suddenly, Nasser felt as if his left leg had been
amputated; it was bleeding severely. When he tried to stand on it he
fell on the ground and asked the passengers for help. They carried him
into the taxi and took him to the Ramallah government hospital, where
he underwent surgery on the severed major artery in his left leg.

Later that evening, 34-year-old Mahmoud Madi from Al Sheikh Radwan was
passing through Al Sheikh Ajleen area, near Al Ja'el Gas Station in
south Gaza. Israeli forces stationed in Al Mighraqa area at a house
belonging to Abu Khousa, which they have taken over, opened fire from
a distance of 500m, hitting Madi in the right forearm.

At 6:40am on Friday 27 April, Israeli forces opened fire from two
military jeeps at 37-year-old Odeh Abu Rumiyeh from Qarara. He was
taken to Suruka Hospital in Bi'r Al Sabe' for treatment.

According to information gathered from Gaza by LAW, the victim was
walking to his sister's house. As he passed Martyrs' junction --
Kosofeem Street, 200m from the Israeli outpost, two Israeli military
jeeps approached him from both sides and soldiers fired ten bullets at
him. The victim remained on the ground for ten minutes until an
Israeli ambulance took him to Suruka Hospital in Bir Al Sabe'.

Following Friday prayers, Palestinians in Ramallah organised a
demonstration in Ramallah and Al Bireh to protest Israeli crimes
within the Occupied Territories. At the northern checkpoint of Al
Bireh clashes broke out near the City Inn Hotel. Israeli gunfire was
opened at demonstrators, hitting three civilians and a Palestinian
National Security Force member:

· Muhammad Haleemah, 8, from Beitunya, shot in the upper left thigh. He is
now in the intensive care unit of Ramallah Hospital.
· Kamal Zidan, 52, from Bir Nabala in Ramallah, shot in the shoulder.
· Mu'taz Abu Eid, 17, from Badu village in Ramallah, shrapnel in the neck;
300m from the Israeli outpost.
· Ashraf Al Qirnawi, 21, Palestinian National Security Force member, shot in
the right shoulder. He was fired at by Israeli soldiers in military vehicles
trespassing a few metres inside PA-controlled territories.

At noon, clashes took place between Palestinian youths and Israeli
soldiers positioned at Al Mintar (`Karni') crossing in east Gaza. Ten
civilians were injured by Israeli gunfire:

· Muhammad Al Nawaj'a, 13, from Gaza, shot in the right hand.
· Muhammad Odeh, 13, from Gaza, shot in the right thigh.
· Muhammad Kassab, 17, from Gaza, shot in the right thigh.
· Muhammad Abu Seedo, 17, from Gaza, shot in the left thigh.
· Isma'il Al Hajleh, 13, from Gaza, shot in the left thigh.
· Ala' Al Za'noun, 18, from Gaza, shot in right eye and head.
· Muhammad Ambar, 16, from Gaza, shot in the right shoulder.
· Ibrahim Abu Sha'ban, 13, from Gaza, shot in the left knee.
· Maysar Abu Rayyaleh, 21, from Gaza, shot in the left knee.
· Shadi Al Deeb, 10, from Al Maghazi, shot in the left thigh.

At around 8pm on Saturday 28 April 2001, Israeli forces shot and
killed a Palestinian civilian from Aida refugee camp, Imad Qaraqe',
seriously injuring his only child, 5-year-old Haitham, and his cousin,
27-year-old Ziyad Qaraqe'.

According to information gathered by LAW, 33-year-old Imad was on his
way from Bethlehem to Aida refugee camp in the company of his 6-months
pregnant wife, 23-year-old Maysa' Qaraqe', and his 5-year-old son
Haitham, in a white Subaru with Palestinian registration driven by his
cousin Ziyad. Imad was in the front seat beside the driver and his
wife and child were in the back.  The car crossed the Palestinian
checkpoint and turned west towards Aida, north-west Bethlehem, but
when it reached the Intercontinental Hotel Israeli soldiers stationed
at the northern entrance to Bethlehem opened medium machinegun fire at
the car from a distance of only 100 metres. Imad was hit with a bullet
in the face and shrapnel in the chest and died instantly, Haitham was
critically wounded in the left eye and the driver was hit in the chest
and shoulder by shrapnel. Haitham was taken to Saint George Eye
Hospital in Jerusalem for treatment.

On Sunday 29 April during the Israeli bulldozing of Ibsan Al KaBira,
east Khan Younis, civilians gathered and destroyed the wire border
fences.  Israeli soldiers responded with live gunfire, injuring four

· Rami Abu Teir, 18, shot in the head (critical).
· Bilal Baraka, 19, shot in the chest.
· Subhi Al Khazzaz, 40, shot in the left leg.
· Farid Arab, 21, shot in right hand.

Late on Sunday 29 April, Israeli forces at Al Kafriyat checkpoint,
south Tulkarem, hindered a Tulkarem government hospital ambulance that
was carrying two injured men - Mihraj Shihada, 25 and Ghanem Ghanem,
28, both from Tulkarem refugee camp - to Rafidia Hospital,
Nablus. They forced the driver to Al Taybeh checkpoint and arrested
one of the injured men, despite his condition and the fact that his
transferral to Rafidia had been coordinated by the Palestinian and
Israeli military liaison offices.

A LAW researcher from Tulkarem stated that at 10:15pm that day Israeli
soldiers stationed at Al Kafriyat checkpoint had opened fire from a
distance of 300m at a Palestinian civilian car that the two men were
in, wounding them both. A taxi-driver took them to Tulkarem government
hospital at around 10:30pm. Mihraj Shihada had been hit by gunfire in
the right shoulder and Ghanem Ghanem had shrapnel wounds in the waist
and hips.

The head of Tulkarem hospital, Dr. Ahmad Abu Baker, stated that Mihraj
Shihada had been admitted to his hospital suffering a bullet wound
that had penetrated his right armpit and lung, severing several blood
vessels and causing haemorrhaging in Mihraj's chest. Mihraj was having
great difficulty breathing. After providing emergency first aid, the
doctors decided to transfer him to Rafidia Hospital in Nablus by
ambulance. At Al Kafriyat checkpoint, Israeli soldiers tried to arrest
Mihraj but the driver refused to allow them to do so, so they forced
him to Al Taybeh checkpoint west Tulkarem. Once the ambulance arrived
there, an Israeli ambulance was waiting and transferred the wounded to
Ma'eer Hospital in Kfar Saba.

In the early hours of Monday 30 April, Israeli soldiers shot and
killed 45-year-old Adnan Odeh from Hibla village in Qalqilya, hitting
him in the abdomen with a fragmenting bullet. According to LAW's
information, at around 2:20am a large number of Israeli troops imposed
a curfew around the houses of Odeh and his brothers and neighbours in
Hibla village, Qalqilya, in order to arrest him. When he realised what
was happening, he tried to escape towards Al Dabe' cave in the nearby
village of Ra's Atiyeh. The Israeli soldiers, including many Special
Forces, chased him and opened fire at him, fatally wounding him in the

At around 2pm that day, Israeli forces stationed on the bypass route
adjacent to Al Mintar crossing opened fire at Palestinian
demonstrators, injuring two:

· Ra'ed Al Zaharneh, 15, from Al Tufah quarter, shot in the right knee.
· Muhammad Al Nakhaleh, 14, from Al Tufah quarter, shot in the thighs.

At around 5am on Wednesday 2 May, Israeli forces stationed at Al
Taybeh checkpoint, west Tulkarem, fired bullets and teargas canisters
at Palestinian civilians trying to cross the Green line to reach their
workplaces inside Israel. Fawwaz Sama'nah, 22, a Tulkarem resident
from Jabalia refugee camp in the Gaza Strip, was shot in the right
shoulder and taken to Tulkarem Hospital where he underwent emergency

Deaths in `mysterious circumstances':

On Monday 30 April, five Palestinian civilians were killed in
mysterious circumstances, including two small children, a Ramallah
Fatah activist and two boys from Gaza. They were:

· Hamdi Al Madhoun, 18, from Gaza.
· Muhammad Abu Khaled, 17, from Gaza.
· Shaheed Barakat, 7, from Ramallah.
· Malaak Barakat, 4, from Ramallah.
· Hassan Al Qadi, 27, a Fatah activist from Beitunya.

According to LAW's documentation, two large explosions shook Gaza and
Ramallah that day, resulting in the total demolition of two houses,
killing five and injuring many, as well as causing severe damage to
nearby buildings (including the main office of the Palestinian Center
for Human Rights).

According to information from Gaza, at around 5pm there was an
explosion in the house of Abu Khaled on Omar Al Mukhtar street, Al
Mina', destroying it completely. Two people were killed: 18 year-old
Hamdi Al Madhoun and 17-year-old Muhammad Abu Khaled. Four others were

· 21 year-old Abdil Karim Al Madhoun, shrapnel wounds in various parts of
the body (critical).
· 10 --year-old next-door neighbour Khalil Afaneh, shrapnel in the head (very
· 48-year-old Afaf Abu Khaled, head wounds.
· 4-year-old Aseel Afaneh, shrapnel wounds in various parts of the body.

The Palestinian Center for Human Rights stated that its main office
nearby was severely damaged, with serious cracks and holes in the
walls, smashed windows on the first floor and the destruction of the
electricity generator, satellite dish and electricity and telephone

According to eyewitnesses, two Israeli helicopters were hovering
overhead, giving credence to the suspicion that the bomb was detonated
by remote-control.

Five hours later a violent explosion hit Ramallah inside a 2-storey
building in Al Irsal Street, Ein Misbah, 200m from the district police
headquarters.  Two small children were killed: 7-year-old Shaheed
Barakat and his sister, 4-year-old Malaak Barakat, as well as a Fateh
activist, 27-year-old Hassan Al Qadi from Beitunya.

25-year-old Abeir Zayed, the mother of the two small children, was
wounded and bruised in hear back and hands, and her other daughter,
5-year-old Wa'd, suffered wounds and fractures in her face and right

Hassan Al Qadi, a Political Sciences student at Al Quds Open
University, was `wanted' by the Israeli army for his suspected
involvement in the killing some months ago of a 16-year-old Israeli
boy lured to Ramallah by the Internet. He was due to be married in the
coming few days.

2. Shelling:
Israeli forces continued shelling Palestinian residential areas,
Palestinian National Security Forces and other Palestinian security
apparatus posts. Two Palestinians were killed in the shelling, a
17-year-old civilian and a 57-year-old security agent. Dozens more
Palestinians were injured by gunshot and artillery shrapnel, and many
buildings were severely damaged.

At around 8pm on Friday 27 April, Israeli forces stationed at Kfar
Darom settlement, east of Deir Al Balah, shelled a Palestinian
National Security Force post 20m north of the settlement, leading to:

· The injury of 22-year-old Yousef Mushrif from Deir Al Balah (artillery
shrapnel in the right thigh).
· The injury of 50-year-old Khalil Basheer (shrapnel in the head and neck).
His 180m² 3-storey house was hit by an artillery missile, which damaged its
windows and bedroom.

At around 9pm that day, Israeli forces stationed at the military camp
east of Jabalia fired 3 artillery missiles at a Palestinian Security
Forces outpost, injuring three:

· 27-year-old Mahmoud Rizeq from Al Maghazi, shrapnel in the face.
· 27-year-old Suleiman Abu Mandeel, shrapnel in the legs.
· 50-year-old I'beid Abu Ariban, shrapnel in the chest, face and back.

At around 11:30pm, Israeli forces stationed at the four military
outposts at Al Tufah checkpoint and Neve Dakalim settlement shelled
the Al Gharbi area of Khan Younis and the Austrian Housing Project
with tanks and medium to heavy machinegun fire, causing severe damage
to many houses.

At around 8:50pm on Saturday 28 April, Israeli forces from the four
outposts and the moveable tower at Neve Dakalim settlement and Al
Tufah checkpoint shelled Khan Younis and residential buildings in the
Austrian quarter with artillery and medium to heavy ammunition for 30
minutes. 12-year-old Hatem Al Bardaweel was hit in the left leg with
artillery shrapnel in the yard of his home.

The shelling began again from the same post at around 10pm, this time
directed at Palestinian residential quarters. 45-year-old Ali Saqir
was admitted to Al Shifa hospital in Gaza in a very critical condition
after being shot while standing on the balcony of his house in Za'rab
quarter, a kilometre away from the Israeli outpost.

At 11pm, Israeli forces stationed inside Gani Tal settlement, north of
Al Amal, fired three nail bombs at the Palestinian residential quarter
in Khan Younis. One of the bombs landed on the home of Hassan
Dababish, smashing his windows and water tanks (where water is heated
by solar energy) and creating holes in the walls. The other two bombs
landed near an ice cream factory, destroying a water tank and injuring
45-year- old Said Dahlan in the right shoulder.

At 8:45 am on Sunday 29 April, Israeli forces fired four
surface-to-surface missiles at Al Gharbi area of Khan Younis from Neve
Dakalim settlement. The missiles hit and severely damaged three
buildings belonging to:

1. Abdullah Abu Abida (five-storey building)
2. Adel Abu Abida (two-storey building)
3. Jihad Abu Looz (one-storey building)

The shelling also injured 9-year-old Yousef Zu'rub in the right leg.

At midday, Israeli forces fired four more missiles at the same
buildings, injuring 80-year-old Hasna Abu Mkhaimer and 9-year-old
Mohammad Al Akad in the head.

At 10pm Israeli troops in Kfar Darom, east of Deir Al Balah, shelled
the Palestinian military intelligence installation, causing severe

At midnight on Monday 30 April, Israeli forces in Neve Dakalim and
Gani Tal settlements shelled Palestinian houses in Khan Younis; some
of the shells landed on Ahmad Abdul Aziz' school and Nasser hospital.

The following were injured:

1. Wa'el Khalifa, 14, in the right leg
2. Majid Hnaidik, 21, in the back
3. Falasteen Hnaidik, 18, in the legs
4. Muwafak Al Kasas, 15, in the right arm
5. Hazim Abu Jaber, 26, in the right leg
6. Ibraheem Abu Jazar, 26, in the right leg
7. Ahmad Salem, 40, in the right leg

The shells that landed on the school destroyed the library and one of
the classrooms. The shelling also destroyed the homes of the following

1. Ahmad Nofal's 120 m² house (10 residents), smashed windows and holes in
the walls
2. Said Abu Said's 100 m² house (8 residents), smashed walls
3. Mustafa Kanan's 200 m² house (10 residents), smashed walls
4. Mahmoud Shahin's 130 m² house (13 residents), smashed windows

At around 3:00 pm on Tuesday 1 May, Israeli forces stationed around
the City Inn hotel shelled Palestinian houses and the offices of the
Ministry of Local Governance, as well as the Palestinian Central
Bureau of Statistics and the Palestinian News Agency WAFA in northern
Al Bireh. The shelling caused extensive damage to the buildings and
critically wounded 39-year-old Fadi Al Barghouthi from Kober, a member
of the Palestinian National Security Forces. He was hit by shrapnel in
the chest.

At around 11:30 am Tuesday, Israeli bulldozers protected by Israeli
tanks bulldozed Al Brazil quarter, south of Rafah. When people stood
against the onslaught, Israeli forces responded by shelling the area,
killing 57-year-old Major Mohammad Abu Jazar and wounding 37-year-old
Rand Al Batsh in the chest. The shots were fired from close range.

At Netsarim, Israeli troops shot at Palestinian youngsters and wounded
17-year-old Ziyad Al Batsh in the abdomen and 15-year-old Jarir Al
Rawagh in the head. Jarir is in a critical condition.

On Wednesday morning, 10 Israeli military jeeps, 20 tanks, 5
minesweepers and 10 bulldozers again invaded Al Brazil quarter, south
of Rafah. The invasion was accompanied by heavy shelling of the area,
killing 19-year-old Mahmoud Akil and wounding the following:

1. Adnan Al Ghariz, 39, in the left leg
2. Rana Al Ghariz, 15, in the right leg
3. Khaled Awaja, 29, in the left arm
4. Rifat Al Shair, 18, in the left leg
5. Nathmi Abu Khatla, 35, in the left arm
6. Imad Idwan, 35, in the left arm
7. Sadik Abu Taha, 23, in the face and neck
8. Rifat Al Ghariz, 23, in the neck
9. Said Al Ghariz, 9, in the right arm
10. Mahir Madi, 26, in the right shoulder
11. Munir Sadudi, 21, in different parts of the body
12. Bassam Al Arja, 31, in the head
13. Muntasir Mansoor, 31, in the back

3. Settler Attacks:
In the morning of Friday 27 April, settlers from Kharsina settlement
attacked 60-year-old Abdul Majid Sultan, a farmer from Hebron, and
40-year-old journalist Nayif Al Hashlamon who was filming the
attacks. The attacks, carried out in the presence of Israeli soldiers,
were aimed at confiscating 2,000 dunums of land of in Al Bwira, where
on April 9 settlers had already confiscated a hilltop.

On Friday evening, Israeli settlers, again with the protection of the
military, attacked the Palestinian village of Haris in Salfeet,
terrorising Palestinians and threatening to burn down their houses,
while Israeli soldiers showered the village with teargas
canisters. The next day the settlers returned, this time they
assaulted Deborah Rider, an American journalist who was documenting
their attack.

On Sunday 29 April, settlers started a fire in the land of the
Palestinian villages of Dir Istia and Qarawat Bani Hassan in Salfeet,
burning fifty olive trees belonging to Suleiman Suleiman from Dir

On Monday 30 April, settlers from Homish opened fire at the
Palestinian village of Burka and an Israeli driver shot at Palestinian
homes in Bazari, Nablus, and at an electricity generator, causing a
power cut in the area.

On Tuesday, a settler from Ali settlement shot 27-year-old Munir Abu
Zahra and 27-year-old Ahmad Abu Taha in Al Liban Al Sharkiyi while the
two Palestinians were driving home to Jerusalem from Nablus. Munir was
shot in the legs and back and Ahmad was shot in the left arm and right

Settlers closed off the Ramallah-Nablus road on May 2 and attacked
Palestinian vehicles with stones.

4. Demolition and bulldozing:

On 27 April, Israeli forces bulldozed 23 dunums of cultivated land in
Rafah and 15 dunums in Khan Younis belonging to Al Hashash, Abu Slima,
Abu Daka, Al Najar and Tubasi.

On Saturday 28 April, Israeli troops invaded PA-controlled areas and
bulldozed 343 dunums of land belonging to the Abu Luly, Jaghoon and
Muamar families.

Israeli forces placed a huge sand barrier on the road west of Dugit
settlement and bulldozed 41 dunums of Tafish land, as well as knocking
down the home of Nasser Tafish.

Israeli troops attacked Abasan Al Kabira and Abasan Al Jadida in Khan
Younis, which is under PA control, bulldozing 700 dunums of land
belonging to Abu Atra, Abu Daka, Abu Tyr, and Kadi'a.

On 30 April, Israeli troops bulldozed agricultural lands in Beit
Hanoon belonging to Idwan, Al Yazji, Murtaja and Salah. On 1 May, they
returned to bulldoze more land in the same area.

On 2 May, 10 Israeli military jeeps, 20 tanks, 5 minesweepers and 10
bulldozers invaded Al Brazil and Al Sha'ir quarters south of Rafah,
knocking down homes, a National Security Force headquarters and four
farms. The demolished properties belonged to:

1. Ibraheem Al Sha'er.100 m² house, 7 residents.
2. Ihab Al Sha'er'. 200 m² house, 8 residents.
3. Saleem Al Sha'er'. 200 m² house, 5 residents.
4. Sameer Al Sha'er'. 200 m² house, 8 residents.
5. Mahmoud Al Sha'er'. 200 m² house, 8 residents.
6. Fayiz Abu Hussein. 250 m² house, 31 residents.
7. Rasmi Awida. 250 m² house, 12 residents.
8. Ali Saidam. 250 m² house, 9 residents.
9. Jamal Al Akhras. 250 m² house, 9 residents.
10. Sayid Al Rantisi. 250 m² house.
11. Mohammad Al Hanadi. 250 m² house, 7 residents.
12. Labiba Awida. 250 m² house, 8 residents.
13. Abdul Rahman Al Sadudi. 250 m² house, 12 residents.
14. Mahmoud and Ziyad Arafat. 250 m² house, 8 residents.
15. Hassan Al Satri. 250 m² house, vacant since the start of the Intifada
16. Haider Abu Jazar. 250 m² house, vacant since the start of the Intifada.
17. Yusif Abu Jarad. 250 m² house, 4 residents.
18. Ibrahim Musa's wall and bedroom (vacant since the start of the Intifada)
19. A National Security Post near Al Nur mosque in Al Brazil quarter

The demolished farms belonged to:

1. Sabri Al Sha'er (250 m²)
2. Rafat Al Sha'er (250 m²)
3. Ayman Al Sha'er (250 m²)
4. Mahmoud Al Sha'er (250 m²)

21 dunums of olive trees belonging to Al Sha'er family were also

5. Arrests:

Israeli forces arrested Sali Hamid, a Fatah activist from Khan Younis,
on 26 April while he was travelling to Egypt. On 27 April, they
arrested Asad Ishtayi, 37, a Fatah secretary in Salem. According to
LAW's documentation, Asad received a telephone call from an unknown
person, who claimed to be at the Al Masakin Al Shabiya (Council flats)
in Nablus and requested Asad's assistance as Fatah secretary. When
Asad left town in his car, Israeli troops ambushed and arrested him,
taking him to an unknown location. Asad, an auditor at the tax offices
in Nablus, is married and has four children.

The following Palestinian fishermen were arrested by Israeli forces on
28 April and taken to Ashdod:

1. Ahid Baker, 41.
2. Mahmoud Baker, 32.
3. Mohammad Baker, 35.
4. Mithkal Baker, 28.
5. Wisam Baker, 20.
6. Suhail Baker, 35.
7. Ramadan Baker, 26.
8. Ramzi Baker, 26.

37-year-old Hashim Abu Hassan from Arbuna, Jenin, who works for the
Israeli human rights organisation B'Tselem, was arrested on the same
day. According to B'Tselem, Abu Hassan was travelling to Nablus from
Jenin when he was stopped at a checkpoint and found to be carrying
testimonies from victims of Israeli violations. He was arrested and
taken to Hiwara military outpost but released the next day following
B'Tselem's intervention.

On 29 April, Israeli forces broke into Jalazone refugee camp and
arrested 35-year-old Nasser Al Bayid and 26-year-old Ramzi Nayif, both
members of the Palestinian intelligence services. The two men were
taken to an unknown location.

On 30 April, Israeli troops on the road to Nablus arrested lawyer Rida
Malhas from Nablus while he was on his way to Jenin. His arrest has
been extended for 22 days at Al Jalami prison. Malhas is married with
one child.

On May 1, Israeli forces arrested 24-year old Wa'el Al Jaghub from
Bita in Nablus at a checkpoint. They also arrested Marwan Hamidan, 35,
from Habla in Qalqilya. Hamidan is a driving instructor, married, and
has two children.

6. Siege:

Israeli forces have maintained the tight siege over Palestinian towns,
villages and refugee camps all over the Palestinian territories in
spite of the Israeli government's claims that it has been eased. The
siege, which is a form of collective punishment, has been strongly
criticised by the international community.

In the past week, Israeli forces intensified their arbitrary measures
and used them for political gain. The occupied part of Hebron where
40,000 Palestinians live was placed under curfew on 25 April. On 29
April, Israeli forces placed Baka Al Shrakiya in Tulkarem under curfew
and on 30 April they did the same to Al Aroub refugee camp. The areas
are still under curfew.

On 27 April, Israeli troops installed a metal gate on the junction of
Araba, south of Jenin, leading to Nablus and Tulkarem, as well as the
villages around them. The Israeli troops stationed there carry out
lengthy inspections and interrogations of Palestinians travelling in
the area. This is the second gate placed on one of the main junctions
of Jenin, the first was placed on the road linking Jenin, Al Jalami
and Nazareth.

On 29 April, Israeli soldiers put a fence on the bypass road linking
Ganeem and Kadeem settlements. The six-kilometre-long fence isolates
the Palestinian villages in the district of Jenin.

On 1 May, Israeli soldiers installed a gate on the road leading to Baka Al
Sharkiya and Nazlat Isa in Tulkarem district.

Israeli troops also added more concrete blocks and sand barriers on
the roads in the Palestinian territories as follows:

1. The junction of Al Baki'a, Abar Masoud and Al Nakab in the northern part
of the Jordan Valley
2. The bypass road junction on Jenin -- Nazareth road
3. Nablus-Jenin road
4. Surda-Ramallah road
5. Six new military outposts on bypass road #60 linking Jerusalem, Bethlehem
and Hebron.


LAW publications and press releases since 1994 are available on our website

LAW -- The Palestinian Society for the Protection of Human Rights and the
Environment is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to preserving human
rights through legal advocacy.
LAW is affiliate to the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ),
Fédération Internationale des Ligues de Droits de l'Homme (FIDH), World
Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and Member of the Euro- Mediterranean
Human Rights Network

More information about the Marxism mailing list