Sorting out 'good' and 'bad' immigrants

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Mon May 7 04:10:09 MDT 2001

While the Socialdemocrats like to accuse the conservatives of nationalism
and racism, they are not much better semselves. Here is the latest from our
social-chauvinists.

Johannes

>From today's Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung ( www.faz.com )

Debate Over Immigration Heats Up in SPD

F.A.Z. BERLIN. The debate over a future immigration law in Germany has
sparked conflicting opinions within the ruling Social Democratic Party
(SPD).

Over the weekend, Heide Simonis, the premier of Schleswig-Holstein, said any
law should consider that Germany in the long run will have to rely on
"migrant labor forces," but a deputy leader of the SPD federal parliamentary
group, Ludwig Stiegler, warned against "opening up the floodgates to foreign
workers." Sigmar Gabriel, Lower Saxony's premier, said it was misleading to
believe Germany's population decline could be absorbed by unlimited
immigration. "If we are not careful," he said, "we will have more people
living off the social welfare system than contributing toward it."

According to a report in the newsmagazine Focus, German Interior Minister
Otto Schily plans to recommend to the government's immigration commission an
initial yearly quota of 5,000-10,000 qualified workers to be allowed into
Germany.